Hawk Having Dinner at Work

Neuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was getting into my car to head home from work when I saw a very large Hawk eating a pigeon in the field next to our office. Luckily I had my camera in the car and I stopped to make sure all of my settings were correct but I forgot about the iso. I had left it on 800 from an evening before and it gave me a very noisy image but this could have been fortunate since it was starting to rain & getting dark very quickly. If it wasn't for the higher iso I may have just gotten blurry photos & nothing at all :confused:.

I should have used my 50mm to get a better image, but I didn't know he was going to let me get so close. Oh well...

HawkatWork.jpg

Thanks! Do you know the correct name? He was HUGE. I'm guessing around 16-inches tall.

Hmmm, not sure, but there are lots of birders on the forum who should be able to help you with that.

Thanks! Do you know the correct name? He was HUGE. I'm guessing around 16-inches tall.

I'd venture to say that what you photographed is a Juvenile Red Tailed Hawk.
I had the same thing happen to me twice now where a hawk with lunch allowed me to approach very close (10 - 13 ft one time). I think the only reason they will allow you to do that is when they are hungry. Every other time I tried to come close, it flew away just as it saw me....

That's about as close as I dared push it and then I got Thee 'Look' in the picture. I wasn't going to try any more :D.

I saw where several members were using NeatImage so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Love how it turned out. Really cleaned it up & gave me the 'pop' I would have obtained if I had my better lens with me.

HawkatWork-1.jpg

thats really gruesome but really beautiful.

it's a great shot!

Great shot he almost got that look my cat gets when I catch him on the counter drinking the kids cereal bowl.

I saw where several members were using NeatImage so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Love how it turned out. Really cleaned it up & gave me the 'pop' I would have obtained if I had my better lens with me.

It definitely looks better than the original. I sometimes wonder just how much post-processing some images go through before they end up on our screens. Taking pictures is one thing, but knowing what to do with them after the photo is taken is another....

I like the string of intestines near the right foot. Man, that bird sure is a neat eater, not a drop of blood on his nice white chest. Nice capture, for both of you.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! I did get a shot of him pulling at one of the intestines, but unfortunately it was blurry. I'll have to post it to show his method.

Man, that bird sure is a neat eater, not a drop of blood on his nice white chest.

That's what I was thinking, not a drop. :confused:

Neat picture.

I saw a hawk take down a rabbit once.
That was pretty cool.. no camera though.

Here's another one. This one shows his feet getting a little messy. For the little time I got to watch him, he was a very slow & picky eater. This may have been due to him watching me trying to get closer. He was probably thinking I wanted part of his meal.

I deleted the one with him eating out of frustration that it turned out blurry. Oh well..

HawkatWork2-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back