Hawk photo

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tripwater, Oct 26, 2009.

1. tripwater

tripwater TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some back story on this shot...

I was driving around looking for a shot and my girlfriend pointed out this hawk perched on a fence. All I own at this point is a 90mm macro lens. I pulled over and stepped slowly to it and took about 2 dozen shots. Well I was not happy with the fact that I did not have a zoom or telephoto with me to get a better shot so I left. I drove about 2 miles back home and borrowed my roommate's 210mm zoom and went back. IT WAS STILL THERE!

I parked on the side and walked back down and was able to get surprisingly close to him and he did not even flinch. I got within 10-15 feet of it. In fact you can see in the pic, it is in between posts. Well I was the next post away from the post closest to him. In fact, most of the time I was taking pictures this close, it often turned its head away from me as if not threatened by me at all! That was awesome.

Out of many shots I only had a couple of keepers. A combination of coffee jitters, excitement and a zoom lens fully extended without a tripod or image stabilization blurred most of my shots. But I managed to get a few. All in all this picture may not be the best shot in the world but the story and my memory of being this close to a hawk will always be a cool memory!

[​IMG]

2. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is a pretty regal looking animal. I would like to see a sharper photo. I'd also like to see his face turned toward the camera. Did he only have one foot?

Thanks for the story and the photo.

3. tripwater

tripwater TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah it sucks that I did not have a tripod with me and the lens did not have IS because I just could not keep steady. But it did have 2 legs, just had one pulled up. Here is another photo after it moved later to a power line

Thanks for the reply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No.2 would be sweet with a crop just around the bird, it's sharper than No.1. Yet, it's still blurred a touch which is unfortunate. At least in No.2 the hawk is looking at the camera. What a neat bird! :)