Hawk

Harpper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was driving along when I saw this hawk just standing there so I quickly grabbed my camera. I was hoping to get some more shots but it flew away. What do you guys think about this picture? Is it too much of a snapshot?

hawk.jpg

Thanks Je-C for commenting. I did crop it some but the bird was close enough that I didn't have to crop it too much. There is a bit of camera shake because I had to do everything quickly but it doesn't seem as noticeable at this smaller resolution.

No, the camera shake doesn't show to me at all.
As to your question whether this one has too many snapshot qualities - no. It hasn't.
The framing (even though it is after the cropping, but we see what you decided to show us, so only that counts) is perfect. Any very quick snapshot that I'd take would have either a tail feather cut off or some similiar fault... I know myself.
So no. This is too good to be called a "snapshot".

All I would have wished, but wasn't to be had, was that he'd be sitting the other way round, i.e. leaning from left to right. I wonder why that was my first thought.....?

Nope, not a snapshot quality.

It's a good picture of a hawk. Dof is great, nothing to distract from the character of the hawk. The background suits the color of hawk The moss on the fence post is kinda neat too. It's tough working under a gun (time). You managed to catch a good moment as the hawk is looking not at the camera nor in profile.

Although not a truely artistic shot, It would work in any nature magazine. (hope that makes sense)

Great shot. I'm envious. Love hawks bit never managed to get a good shot.

I agree with La Foto. I think it might be even better if you flipped the image so that the hawk's head is in the right upper quadrant. Why? I've been told it's because when we look at an image our eye unconsciously moves from left to right. So an image feels more comfortable to us if the main point of interest is on the right since that's where our eye wants to rest. Might want to try it to see how it looks.

Very nice.

We have a few of these guys at work to scare away the birds. Of course they're not ours.

Thanks everyone for commenting on this picture. I appreciate it. :D

Cruzin said:
Although not a truely artistic shot, It would work in any nature magazine. (hope that makes sense)
Yes, that makes sense. That's basically why I thought it might be a snapshot because it didn't seem artistic to me.

BLS said:
I think it might be even better if you flipped the image so that the hawk's head is in the right upper quadrant. Why? I've been told it's because when we look at an image our eye unconsciously moves from left to right. So an image feels more comfortable to us if the main point of interest is on the right since that's where our eye wants to rest.
That also makes sense. I think you guys are right because it did feel like something else was wrong with the picture but I couldn't figure it out at the time. Very good points you guys made. Thanks again to everyone that commented.

I think that this is a very good picture. Personally, I prefer wild animals in their own natural area rather than in zoo. And this picture wins for me because of that

Harpper said:
Thanks everyone for commenting on this picture. I appreciate it. :D

Cruzin said:
Yes, that makes sense. That's basically why I thought it might be a snapshot because it didn't seem artistic to me.

Ummm , I still do not consider it a snapshot. Wildlife photographers can spend days in a blind and be eaten alive by bugs. Some of the photographs they submit for publication are not much different than your hawk. I would consider it a snapshot if it was underexposed, out of focus, camera tilted ecteria. I think your picture would look good on a wall.

Ah well that's my opinion, everyone draws their own lines to thier own work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back