Hawk

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by pursuer, Apr 27, 2005.

1. pursuer

pursuer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am not exactly sure what kind of a bird this is but I think it is a hawk of some kind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    huhh last one is nice! A loooong zoom, isn't it?

3. aprilraven

aprilraven TPF Noob!

great shots! i wish i could see his top side better, and i could tell what kind of hawk, could be a red tailed, or it could be a red shouldered....but alas, i am not so great at this...but you did a wonderful job...!

4. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's common name is: Cooper's Hawk
    It's scientific name is: Accipiter cooperii

The one in your picture is a young female. They fly up to the southern parts of Canada in the Spring and Summer to breed.

I know this kind of stuff... used to work at a raptor conservatory.

Nice pictures! Easy to identify! :)

About two months ago there was a Cooper's Hawk in my back yard.... landed in the tree eyeing the doves... :lol:
    It flew off when I went to get a picture of it.... never did get a picture of it.... :confused:

5. pursuer

pursuer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks guys! Mentos I took them with my 200mm zoom. LittleMan thanks alot for the info, I was hoping someone could identify it. It seemed to be just circling in the same general area, every once in a while it would sort of screetch. It was pretty cool.

I have to admit ignorance, when I read that you worked at a raptor conservatory I was a little confused. I thought raptors were just those crazy dinosaurs on jurassic park, lol :oops: Oh well, nothing a little googleing couldn't solve. I always kind of wondered why they named the F/A-22 stealth fighter after a dinosaur, the name makes a little more sence now :lmao:

6. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

this forum is awesome...post an image or query and SOMEONE here will be an expert in the field! nice pics by the way. im always impressed to see wildlife images done well :thumbup: . im partial to the eagle but the hawk is a beautiful bird to watch.

7. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love Falcons, the Hawks were VERY territorial.... since the Redtail hawks had to stay in one flight chamber, if you didn't keep feeding them they would fight each other.(to the death sometimes)
    The Bald Eagles aren't as territorial so they stayed in one flight chamber alright.... although if you had to walk down the hall where they flew when they passed by, you would get hit with one of their wings(that really hurts btw)
    This is my favorite bird of them all. It's called a 'White Saker Falcon'(WSFA).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The WSFA is a truely beautiful bird. As you can see from the picture it is very gentle.