Hay Bales After the Storm

Mullen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this photo today after it finally stopped raining. I experimented with it in Tiffen's DFX filter, and ended up with this:

haybalesinthefieldrsxy3.jpg

Comments, critique, and suggestions are welcome.

Great cloud formations. I'm wondering what it would look like with half (maybe more) of the foreground removed (pano-like) and taking a little off the right nearer to that haybale? It would certainly get the horizon off the center of the image.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Is this kind of what you had in mind, kundalini?

haybalesinthefieldcroprsg1.jpg

I was thinking even a bit more severe on the foreground. IMO it was rather boring and did not add to the subject of your photo.

My crop:
haybalesinthefieldrsxy3.jpg

Oh, I tweaked a couple of things like curves, contrast blah, blah. Hope you don't mind.

Yeah, your crop pulls everything together a bit better. Thanks for taking the time to edit it.

I was hoping you would like it. Apart from the crop, I also was trying to bring out some life to the field and the clouds. Unfortunately, I lost track of the treeline and pretty much removed all detail when looking at it today. Sorry 'bout that, but you can get it back and then some with skills better than mine. Thanks for letting me play!

IMO the crop does draw my eyes to the haybales better now.

I just saw some haybales near me today, might have a go myself. :biggrin:

I don't know why, but I really want to go photograph some of these things. I like your shot, especially your second edit. The clouds add nicely to the photo.
Hay fever? It seems to be contagious to those that enter this thread.

Thanks, I was actually angry with those clouds when they were pouring water on me throughout the day.

Tomarrow I have to move half of those bales out before it starts raining again. :grumpy:

I don't mind the foreground but I think it's a bit underexposed/too dark.

Hay fever? It seems to be contagious to those that enter this thread.

Thanks, I was actually angry with those clouds when they were pouring water on me throughout the day.

Tomarrow I have to move half of those bales out before it starts raining again. :grumpy:

This is OT, but I wanted to know.
I never farmed before, but lived in a farming community. I heard that if you take wet hay in a big heap it will catch on fire from the heat generated inside of the pile.

This is OT, but I wanted to know.
I never farmed before, but lived in a farming community. I heard that if you take wet hay in a big heap it will catch on fire from the heat generated inside of the pile.
Yep, you have to let the hay dry after it's cut before baling it, also have to let it dry if it rains on the bales.

Last summer the guy we had doing it baled it right after he cut it. When my dad rolled them out in the winter they were black in the middle and smelled like tobacco.

cool pic, nice work! I also think the 3rd version looks the best.:thumbup:

Nice capture. I like the original size, but the lighter version that Kundalini edited. Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back