HDR first attempts c&c

Discussion in 'HDR Discussions' started by reznap, Mar 8, 2010.

1. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Really I just wanted to see if I could do it. This first one is overdone, and the sky is noisy... but I also really like it even though it's not that well done.

This is a real 3 shot bracket.

[​IMG]

This one I did tonight, another 3 images, but exposure adjusted in canon RAW software, then put into photomatix. I think it came out good, is not overdone, and is a better use of HDR, getting detail in the shadows of the door and the highlights of the bricks up top and on the walkway.

[​IMG]

For reference, this is what it looked like before: (but it's cropped..)

[​IMG]

Usually I only post in the beginner board but I think they're getting sick of me over there.

2. Bynx

Bynx TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think #1 looks much better if you crop out the sky and make it a wideangle shot of the car. The sky is bad. There are what looks like gaping holes in the processing on each side of the steeple. What's with that? Also there is detail in the car door that would look better if it were shown.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  3. mr sussex

mr sussex TPF Noob!

Ok, the image of the car is pretty good, there seems to be detail in all the shadows and the only blown highlights are the specular ones which could be brought within the histogram if you had taken another shot metered for the highlights, probably 7-8 stops less, but I guess you know that.

The doorway is a competent HDR effort, just a little boring to my eye.

I would suggest one thing, take more exposures to give you a wider latitude when you come to process them. You don't have to use them, but they can be really, really useful on occasion.

4. reznap

Photos OK to edit
    ^ Thanks Bynx. Yeah I agree the sky looks really crappy, there's also a good bit of noise up there if you were to peek at the original (18 mp) size. I like it more with your crop and brightness.

I was aggressive with the sliders on the car, I'm surprised with the decent comments. I expected "car is way overdone, typical HDR abuse" go figure, lol.

Thanks mr sussex, I like your idea about more exposures. The best HDRs I've seen on here are sometimes 7 separate exposures merged together.

5. reznap

Photos OK to edit
    New wheels and tires called for a re-do. Didn't point the wheels at the camera here as it didn't look right with the road being straight (to me anyway).

Put some thought into it though, time of day, composition... the 'no parking' sign.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

6. Bynx

Bynx TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like everything about this shot. You have 'fixed' all the problems with the other shot. The proportions is better to show the car. Rumbling dark clouds and the car, out in the wild weather, ignoring the rules. With a car like this who plays by the rules. The Parking Sign is a nice touch to show that.

7. reznap

Photos OK to edit
    ^ Thank you very much.

This forum and the people here have been great guidance and have made me aware of all the things that go into a decent picture. I'm actually getting a few decent shots out of every few hundred now. :lol:

8. anel

anel TPF Noob!

reznap, if i were you i would do this;
    go in photoshop and open your favourite of this hdr series, and then open up the shot before it was converted to hdr, and mask off the backgruond so only the car is HDR. that would look a lot cooler in my opinion..