HDR Portraiture

Is the Dave hill effect the same as the dragan effect? On YouTube if you search dragan effect, all the tutorials are forgien which makes me think it's the same as the Dave hill effect in a different language.

Short answer, no you can't create a "true" hdr (or so its called) with of a portrait because you can't freeze yourself to the exact point and take 3 different exposure shots of it.

Again, as I said and posted above, u can do a "TRUE HDR" with one RAW file. I have no time to argue about it. I've done it many times and people haven't seen the difference in HDR forum and were quiet surprised that I used 1 file. So give it a try and see for yourself. Good luck.

Short answer, no you can't create a "true" hdr (or so its called) with of a portrait because you can't freeze yourself to the exact point and take 3 different exposure shots of it.

Again, as I said and posted above, u can do a "TRUE HDR" with one RAW file. I have no time to argue about it. I've done it many times and people haven't seen the difference in HDR forum and were quiet surprised that I used 1 file. So give it a try and see for yourself. Good luck.

Were not looking for an argument, just a discussion.

I cannot understand how it is impossible to have a person sit still long enough to pop off at least 3 exposures....explain it to me please.

I have done it with reasonable results. I took the my two younger kids out last fall to the park and hadn't brought a flash along. I thought I would give tonemapping a try and did a three exposure tonemap using Photomatix.

Here's the shot. We have a 20x30 print in our livingroom.
3vv92u

oh really? I took this my self ... 3 bracketed images.

4663274874_92f249c1df_z.jpg

Thats not true HDR, sorry.
All youre doing is slightly expanding the dynamic range by TONEMAPPING and your range will always be limited to that of the single RAW file. I can do that with local adjustments photoshop or LR with out tonemapping.

Please do this....
Post a real HDR image made from at least 3 bracketed images
Then, make a fake HDR image from one of those same RAW files and lets all compare them.

I bet you never get around to posting them because once you see them side by side will know what we are talking about. :hug::

Last edited:
Will do and post both up here. I don't do HDR much cuz it was cool at first to do when I was doing hobby work. But now I'm geared toward events so I never get a chance to or think about it. But yeah when i get a chance I'll do it and then post it. Basic point, try to get HDR w/ 3 exposure, at times you cant use 3 exposures 1 will do. If everyone wants to argue about it, then so be it. End of the day you can create an HDR image with 1 RAW file. End of story. :peacesign:

End of the day you can create an HDR image with 1 RAW file. End of story. :peacesign:

I don't think you have a full understanding of what an HDR image is. Perhaps you have seen 1 too many of these tone-mapped beyond recognition faux HDR shots. You CANT physically take a picture past the range of data that the sensor recorded. ( thats why editing JPEGS suck, because you have already through out more than half of the image data ). I completely understand the point you are TRYING to make. "In a pinch, you can tweak 1 image to give a faux HDR like image." However, the reason people are getting so defensive is because that is NOT an HDR image. You may end up with some convoluted tone mapped image, but it did not achieve an expansion of and a balancing of the dynamic range of the shot which is what HDR is. So while you are right in giving the OP some ideas to try, you are misrepresenting what HDR is, and probably confusing him even more ( or atleast instilling the wrong perception in him of what HDR is )
Also, its my opinion, that if you do HDR well, you should not think "THATS HDR" when you see it. You should just see a well balanced picture closer to what your eye typically sees. Now if you do a surreal extreme HDR thats a different story.

Also, just to add, if you can shoot 8FPS, you can EASILY snap off 3 pics a bracketed portrait shot. I am sure you could even at 6FPS. Not sure how tricky it would be at 3FPS, but as long as the model knew your intentions and stayed relatively still, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

End of the day you can create an HDR image with 1 RAW file. End of story. :peacesign:

Please read through the many posts this forum has had on HDR, i really cannot be bothered to explain it again for the hundredth time.... but to cut it short, what you are creating from 1 RAW is a tone mapped image, 'end of story' for HDR you need to expand the dynamic range to more than one exposure, that is what HDR is all about. It is easy to confuse the two, but there is a difference.

Also, yes you can bracket in a very short amount of time.

the nik product is called HDR Eflix Pro

I believe the Dave Hill effect is similar to Luics Art and Dragron, not HDR.

HDR and skin tones are not a marriage in heaven made. ALso HDR means HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE, which means a contrast range beyond the limits of the sensor, and people can do a lot of things with 1 RAW file, except extend the contrast with out the proper information .

There is a rule of thumb about 3 expourse, but the number of expourses should be related to the contrast range. 3 exposures are not going to give the same effect if you have a 20 fstop range.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back