HDR Question

Lil Bob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, i am new to this HDR thing... When i try to take an HDR image at night The sky and anything that is dark in color turns out gritty.. I have my iso as low as it will go. How do I fix this problem?

Thanks

Bobby

Don't try and make HDRs using the night sky. Not sound flip, but under-exposed images, or the lightening of very dark areas introduces significant noise even at the lowest ISOs. The best option is to leave the sky as dark as you can.

Usually scenes with some dynamic range to begin with make the best HDRs... Did you do exposure bracketing on a tripod? What did you use to combine and tone map the images?

-Shea

I have a Canon Rebel XTi i us auto bracketing and it is on a tripod all the time.. I use Photomatrix to combine the different exposures.. And actually if it is bright sunny day and i take somthing that has some nice dark shade it turns out grainy...

Photomatix has programming that for some reason likes to push the black levels in photos even though you have three differently exposed photos to give you that detail. This gives you noise in those areas. I think PS gives more natural looking HDR/tonemapped images which don't have as much noise but there's even less control with that program than Photomatix.

Very rarely do I have a Photomatix processed image that doesn't have a lot of noise. Try PS if you have it and see if that works. If not you can try Noise Ninja which works very well for getting rid of that noise.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back