HDR Questions from a guy attempting to start HDR

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me start by saying I understand the concept of HDR. I know that you bracket your pictures so you can have some underexposed, overexposed, and correctly exposed. I just don't understand the whole process. Do you just merge the pictures together? Is there a program or a plug-in you use?

I really want to use HDR for B&W shots. I love the way they look when they are converted to HDR.

I currently use a Nikon D90 which I believe can bracket 3 shots. I also use photoshop elements 8.

Any help in this subject will be greatly appreciated.

try the free sample of photomatix and the program you already have and then decide if you need to buy it. I use photomatix I got from a friend for the few times I have done HDR.

Photomatix is the leader. Which is what I mainly use

Here are some alternatives.

EasyHDR (used it before it's ok)
easyHDR - High Dynamic Range (HDR), exposure blending and tone mapping software.

Artizen hdr Have not tried it yet
Supporting Computers Inc. Artizen your complete HDR solution.

Photogenics HDR have not tried it yet
Idruna Software - Photogenics HDR - High Dynamic Range Image Editing

Dynamic Photo HDR (Presently I am Using this software as test purpose I am very impressed with it so far extremely user friendly)
Dynamic Photo HDR, high dynamic range imaging software with Anti-Ghosting

OK, So I just downloaded the trial version of Photomatix. I downloaded the stand alone version. I never knew there were so many sliders to HDR. I guess this will just take a lot of trial and error.

if you look here I had created some video tutorials that might help you out on your quest. It goe's into other software method's such as photoshop, photomatix, lightroom but you get the idea.
I will be making a new set of video's soon that go more in detail to using photomatix and creating an hdr from start to finish equipment needed etc..
Video Tutorial

Read the supplied help tutorial that comes with Photomatix. Then read it again. There is a lot of info there you need to know to get the best effects from it. Knowing what the sliders do to give you a great photo as compared to a grungy painting over saturated look helps a lot.

OK, So I just downloaded the trial version of Photomatix. I downloaded the stand alone version. I never knew there were so many sliders to HDR. I guess this will just take a lot of trial and error.

Why are people so impatient? - Take time to .....learn.

I'm not positive about the trial version, but I believe when you open Photomatix, one of the first buttons you see on the bottom of the first box is .......... Tutorial.

Read it ...... it'll tell you more about those little sliders then you can learn here.... :D

When it comes to a matter of studying something new you have to do your homework, if you are looking to come into the forums and expect some sort of tutoring this is not sylvan. If you need help tips etc; then I am sure someone here can help you out. But coming out and expect someone to tell how to use the program that’s not going to happen go on YouTube, Google search for hdr techniques and how to first.

I am just starting with this too. I am using various trial versions and than I will decide which one to get. Right now I am using my first trial one which is Dynmaic-Photo HDR. It comes with a detailed instruction manual in PDF form.

Most reactions

Back