HDR Rocks

wiredhernandez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK so Photomax is apparently a very cool easy to use app... After piddling with Picturenaut (unhappy with results) here is demo output zapped out from simple AP mode on the canon

Normalish expore (yes sky looks overexposed)

2009-05-20%20066.jpg

HDR output image (yes playing with demo so it says photomax)

2009-05-20%20066_7_8.jpg

Anyway good reading on this site exposed me to HDR so thanks guys... More work to do!

Nah, just the lens probably. Wait till you make a proper HDR with 3 or more exposures if you think that looks nice.

Doh .. I see what you mean... That was made from 3 exposures ... but no tripod.. Clean my gear and try again..!

You think that rocks? Try investing in an NDGrad filter and or a polariser and take a photo which looks like a photo rather than a saturated painting.

I will echo Garbz. I much rather enjoy a photo that was thought out, someone took the time to use the right equipment, and nailed the exposure in camera. If a photo looks like it is HDR, then its tacky IMHO. If you do an HDR, and you cannot tell, then you did it right. Having said that, there are certain subjects and times that I think the "cartoonish" outcome looks "kinda" cool; but landscapes in general are not one of those instances.

If HDR is your cup of tea, then by all means do it, but if you ask me the HDR cup ran over a while back.

You think that rocks? Try investing in an NDGrad filter and or a polariser and take a photo which looks like a photo rather than a saturated painting.

True .. this was nothing more than tooling around with quick shots and no artsy attempts. .. I like being a guy with a camera not being a photographer ... I can have fun .. not be such an arse! .. :)

There seem to be plenty of decent folks around and the other type too....

I will echo Garbz. I much rather enjoy a photo that was thought out, someone took the time to use the right equipment, and nailed the exposure in camera. If a photo looks like it is HDR, then its tacky IMHO. If you do an HDR, and you cannot tell, then you did it right. Having said that, there are certain subjects and times that I think the "cartoonish" outcome looks "kinda" cool; but landscapes in general are not one of those instances.

If HDR is your cup of tea, then by all means do it, but if you ask me the HDR cup ran over a while back.

This makes perfect sense ... I would agree HDR should look natural ... A quick excercise nothing more in this post..

True .. this was nothing more than tooling around with quick shots and no artsy attempts. .. I like being a guy with a camera not being a photographer ... I can have fun .. not be such an arse! .. :)

There seem to be plenty of decent folks around and the other type too....

Sorry you took it that way. I definitely didn't mean to come across as an arse. There are too many people in the world who fall into the wow look at my HDR, hey this is an easy way to get out of doing landscapes, and then stick with it putting up one horrid looking HDR landscape after another. I was just saying don't fall into that trap.

I'm all for experimentation and I say keep going. Just pointing out that in this case a polariser and NDGrad filter may blow your mind more than a HDR and will also look real.

HDR sensor dust. woot. :lol:

That must be a pretty common feature... my first HDR had one too.

Thanks for in input guys. Garbz I totally agree with with your comments maybe I read them with the wrong inflection. Anyway I did look at your gallery and would definitely appreciate any future advise. I began looking into HDR after having no clue as to capture the following image while fishing ... I posted in the nature section and Overread provided the game Gradient filter or HDR (got me going there)... I did look briefly into fixing with fake HDR but I would rather try for best results via normal capture or HDR when practical.

Originally posted here..
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/165209-water-05-15-galveston-texas.html

2009-05-15%20012.jpg

I can undersatnd using HDR, but for shots that need it, such as sunsets and sunrises, landsapes including the sun/moon....etc.

As long as they dont look like a cartoon and look reletively unedited, I could like it.

The shot you took could have been solved by using a tool such as the graduated tint in Picasa, to make the sky blue, or using a CPL filter.

Your sunset photo suffers from lack of brightness in the water, and lack of colour too. Fake HDRing will likely result in noise, but try it anyway. You never know. At the very least you'll get some mad contrast out of the clouds.

Getting it right in camera depends entirely on what you personally intend the shot to be. I would have to say though that photo lacks more in the perspective than the subject itself. The clouds look grand in the sky and my personal choice would have been either shoot at 12mm to bring out MUCH more of the sky, or shoot at 200mm and capture the red burning out from underneath the grey clouds. I don't think there is anything wrong with your exposure at all.

Most reactions

Back