robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
<rant>

So I've been noticing (and annoyed by) the HDR snobbery around here. I mean, there is always a certain amount of snobbery in artistic stuff (ie nikon vs canon), and these snobbish comments are certainly magnified on the notorious interwebz, but come on. When someone asks "what is HDR?" why are there no less than 3 people talking about how terrible it is mixed in with the people trying to be helpful? Hey, HDR is fun, and although the images that result from it are sometimes completely ridiculous, it's still enjoyable to slide all those little sliders around in photomatix and see what you end up with. And sometimes, HDR pictures can come out really interestingly. So, to sum up, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

Thank you for your time.

</rant>

Every time I check the forum for "New Posts", I see about five new posts on every page entitled "[something-or-other] HDR", "HDR C&C", "Some HDRs" and so on and so forth.

You know what the problem is? People are focusing too much on the process and ending up with mostly garbage because of it. I have yet to see the same vast quantity of posts with titles like "Check out this dodged and burned photo", "Selective colour C&C" or "Did lots of layering, what do you think?"

NEWSFLASH: NOBODY CARES

OK, that's not entirely the case, but it needed emphasis and clarity. Occasionally, there are some posts with the subjects I mentioned above, but not nearly to the degree that HDR seems to hog the front pages. And, yes, there are some good photos that have been made using HDR processing. However, what I see is that a large portion of HDR shots are thoughtless snaps made by unartistic gadget-freaks using textbook rules to make hideous, diseased and radioactive crap for their gadget-loving friends to ooh and ah over. This isn't even bad art, it's just not art at all.

SIDEBAR: I don't want to be completely negative towards "gadget lovers". Where else would we get engineers to design and build the incredible and powerful cameras that we use? :)

We, as photographers might be interested in the equipment and processed used -- let's admit it, we like our gear -- and that's great, because it helps those who are less experienced people learn out how to make the results they're looking for. But, it should be the afterthought; the thought that comes to mind after...

What does the photo say? Is it humourous? Is it sad? Does it tell a story? Is it though-provoking? Is it ironic? Is it beautiful? Does it have interesting light, colour, lines, shapes, patterns or textures?

I agree with Epp as much as I agree with the OP.

However I don't think there is any need to be a snob about it or to be rude. There is a simple solution, don't post. The thread gets pushed to the bottom and no one is considered an HDR snob. Win-win.

I reserve my opinions to the individual image. But I'm also not afraid to chime in and say the majority of HDR looks like it was finger painted by a 2 year old. I'm not against any process, just the results that for some reason people like to "artistically" turn a nice scene into garbage. It's not snobbery, it's my personal opinion and the fact of art is there will always be someone who disagrees with you.

See the thread in Beyond the Basics this week for a very very well done HDR, still clearly HDR, but with a realism that makes it quite clearly still a photograph.

It's the internet, and every forum out there will have this kind of thing on one topic or another.

You just have to learn selective reading, it will make your browsing experiences so much better :)

Every time I check the forum for "New Posts", I see about five new posts on every page entitled "[something-or-other] HDR", "HDR C&C", "Some HDRs" and so on and so forth.

You know what the problem is? People are focusing too much on the process and ending up with mostly garbage because of it. I have yet to see the same vast quantity of posts with titles like "Check out this dodged and burned photo", "Selective colour C&C" or "Did lots of layering, what do you think?"

NEWSFLASH: NOBODY CARES

OK, that's not entirely the case, but it needed emphasis and clarity. Occasionally, there are some posts with the subjects I mentioned above, but not nearly to the degree that HDR seems to hog the front pages. And, yes, there are some good photos that have been made using HDR processing. However, what I see is that a large portion of HDR shots are thoughtless snaps made by unartistic gadget-freaks using textbook rules to make hideous, diseased and radioactive crap for their gadget-loving friends to ooh and ah over. This isn't even bad art, it's just not art at all.

SIDEBAR: I don't want to be completely negative towards "gadget lovers". Where else would we get engineers to design and build the incredible and powerful cameras that we use? :)

We, as photographers might be interested in the equipment and processed used -- let's admit it, we like our gear -- and that's great, because it helps those who are less experienced people learn out how to make the results they're looking for. But, it should be the afterthought; the thought that comes to mind after...

What does the photo say? Is it humourous? Is it sad? Does it tell a story? Is it though-provoking? Is it ironic? Is it beautiful? Does it have interesting light, colour, lines, shapes, patterns or textures?

NEWS FLASH: HDR IS A FAD

it's big right now because everyone thinks it's new and exciting. deal with it. it'll be run of the mill soon and no one will care again. in the mean time, don't be such a jerk about it.

I agree with Epp as much as I agree with the OP.

However I don't think there is any need to be a snob about it or to be rude. There is a simple solution, don't post. The thread gets pushed to the bottom and no one is considered an HDR snob. Win-win.

dingdingdingggg!!! we have a winner!

seriously. why post something rude when you can just let the thread die. or say "hey next time you make an HDR try using a little less compression and saturation, I bet you'll love the results."

I reserve my opinions to the individual image. But I'm also not afraid to chime in and say the majority of HDR looks like it was finger painted by a 2 year old. I'm not against any process, just the results that for some reason people like to "artistically" turn a nice scene into garbage. It's not snobbery, it's my personal opinion and the fact of art is there will always be someone who disagrees with you.

See the thread in Beyond the Basics this week for a very very well done HDR, still clearly HDR, but with a realism that makes it quite clearly still a photograph.

HDR snob in denial.

loljk but seriously, all I am annoyed with is the rudeness that comes out immediately after a thread is started with an HDR picture in it. as long as your opinion is shared in a way that is helpful, I'm all for it. I think tons of the pictures posted on this site are garbage. we're all here to learn.

It's the internet, and every forum out there will have this kind of thing on one topic or another.

You just have to learn selective reading, it will make your browsing experiences so much better :)

does TPF have a forum filter that can get rid of anything with HDR in the subject?

can it filter for gamma levels?

that would be pretty sweet.

does TPF have a forum filter that can get rid of anything with HDR in the subject?

can it filter for gamma levels?

that would be pretty sweet.

BEWARE what you ask for. It could be your photos getting filtered out next.

Today you want to filter HDR out. Tomorrow someone may want to filter out anything by robertwsimpson. That's the way of censorship.

Most reactions

Back