HDR Sucks!!!

The real problem is that people just getting started in photography should learn how to take good pictures looooooooooong before they should even think about HDR.

The real problem is that people just getting started in photography should learn how to take good pictures looooooooooong before they should even think about HDR.

Im not sure if I agree with this. There are people doing photography for years and cant take a decent picture. While there are some who pick up a camera and are born naturals creating great stuff from the getgo. Whether taking a single 'regular' shot or 5 bracketed shots with HDR in mind the picture still has to be in focus, have good composition, and proper exposure. Saying newbies shouldnt try HDR is a bit silly. I think that everyone trying HDR should learn to use the sliders better. But its just a technique that anyone should give a try. Its not elitist or snobbery to try HDR. Its just takes a basic understanding of exposures that cover a range of light values. With your way of thinking perhaps new photographers should stick with black & white? Then move on to color using a very cheap photo editor. Then when they finally get good after how long? they can move up to Photoshop and really go to town until their photos ooze with creativity. Only then are they ready to tackle HDR. I dont think so.

starting with black and white is not a good thing as most folks are clueless about the greyscale and how it relates to color :sexywink:

learning how to use the proper techniques is critical beginner or advanced..

Im not sure if I agree with this. There are people doing photography for years and cant take a decent picture. While there are some who pick up a camera and are born naturals creating great stuff from the getgo. Whether taking a single 'regular' shot or 5 bracketed shots with HDR in mind the picture still has to be in focus, have good composition, and proper exposure. Saying newbies shouldnt try HDR is a bit silly. I think that everyone trying HDR should learn to use the sliders better. But its just a technique that anyone should give a try. Its not elitist or snobbery to try HDR. Its just takes a basic understanding of exposures that cover a range of light values. With your way of thinking perhaps new photographers should stick with black & white? Then move on to color using a very cheap photo editor. Then when they finally get good after how long? they can move up to Photoshop and really go to town until their photos ooze with creativity. Only then are they ready to tackle HDR. I dont think so.

I agree with Bynx. There is nothing wrong with any photographic or postprocessing technique. It is a matter of how well or how badly it is utilized by the photographer.

It is the guy or gal behind the camera, NOT the technique that is the problem.

skieur

Well you put some words together but didnt say anything. What I want to know is whether you agree with his sarcasm or not.

calm down. is she not allowed to find humor in something?
we all know you are die-hard HDR. whether she likes or dislikes HDR is not important in my eyes. your need for justification is silly.

I agree with Bynx. There is nothing wrong with any photographic or postprocessing technique. It is a matter of how well or how badly it is utilized by the photographer.

skieur

True. But it is an ADVANCED pp technique. And IMO unless you have an ADVANCED grasp of photography you are doing things backwards. One of the first and most important things I learned about art (at about 8 years old) was work from general to specific. Painters dont start with the details.

Well you put some words together but didnt say anything. What I want to know is whether you agree with his sarcasm or not.

we all know you are die-hard HDR. whether she likes or dislikes HDR is not important in my eyes. your need for justification is silly.

Who do you think you are telling me what to do or what not to do? I never said anything about the humor she found. And do you think Im concerned whats important in YOUR eyes? I didnt ask whether she likes HDR or not, now did I? I asked for clarification on what she meant by "awesome". I asked her once and didnt get an answer. So I asked again. I only wanted clarification because while its been known that I can be sarcastic at times, I didnt find the article "awesome" at all and wondered what she meant by it. Seeking information or clarification for understanding is not being something other than calm. Its your budinsky attitude that makes me uncalm. Unless my comments are made to you then I suggest you remain calm, sit back, light up a smoke and keep your remarks to yourself.

Last edited:

skieur

True. But it is an ADVANCED pp technique. And IMO unless you have an ADVANCED grasp of photography you are doing things backwards. One of the first and most important things I learned about art (at about 8 years old) was work from general to specific. Painters dont start with the details.

I dont know about anyone else but I dont think using Photomatix is advanced pp technique. Its a lot easier to put together an HDR than to do some things you might think are simple in Photoshop. Photomatix has a very very short learning curve. Id say about 10 minutes as long as you stick with the default setting and stay away from playing with the sliders. The default setting I find gives a fairly good rendition of the scene shot.

skieur

Lol what? Bracketing an HDR image isn't any harder than basic RAW edits.

Who do you think you are telling me what to do or what not to do? I never said anything about the humor she found. And do you think Im concerned whats important in YOUR eyes? I didnt ask whether she likes HDR or not, now did I? I asked for clarification on what she meant by "awesome". I asked her once and didnt get an answer. So I asked again. I only wanted clarification because while its been known that I can be sarcastic at times, I didnt find the article "awesome" at all and wondered what she meant by it. Seeking information or clarification for understanding is not being something other than calm. Its your budinsky attitude that makes me uncalm. Unless my comments are made to you then I suggest you remain calm, sit back, light up a smoke and keep your remarks to yourself.

just looked like you were badgering is all. my bad. clearly i misunderstood your cynical persistence. ill just sit back and shut my mouth as you so politely demanded.:lol:

skieur

Lol what? Bracketing an HDR image isn't any harder than basic RAW edits.

I think that the logic in saying the HDR is an advanced post-processing technique is just that... if you take can't a half-way decent, ordinary photograph, you definitely can't make a good HDR. Whereas if you can make a genuinely good HDR, you've probably got a sufficient handle on what it takes to make a good ordinary photo.

Using that logic, one sort of precedes the other. Just one way of looking at it, though.

Photomatix has a very very short learning curve.

Pfft. Then why arent 99% of the images awesome. If you cant comprehend how to properly compose/expose one shot then why bother with 5? Because you are depending on using the computer software as a crutch later. Bad habits are hard to break. If HDR buffs spent more time practicing their photography they might find themselves using software less. :sexywink:

Edit: can anyone name one internationally known, professional photographer thats famous for HDR?

The HDR images you say are less than awesome have little to do with the photographic skills of the operator, but visual skills using the software. That could be attributable to a badly calibrated monitor or more likely poor computer skills. I wonder how many people agree with your last statement about practicing photography more and using software less. For me taking the picture is just the first step. What I decide to do with it is where the fun starts. Id like to think of it as a 50-50 partnership between my photographic and software skills. All fun for me. My results arent always pleasing to others, or even to me. But I have fun trying and always pushing the envelope. I dont think anyone will ever become famous as an HDR photographer because there are so many of us. Some will be more consistent in creating awesome shots while others will remain mediocre to terrible. But no small handful will become famous because the software is too readily available so there is no mystery in the beauty of a well done HDR shot. Both the photographic and software skills will shine through on some. And they should be recognized.

*Ahem* there are a lot of people with camers. But few photographers.

/fin

The HDR images you say are less than awesome have little to do with the photographic skills of the operator, but visual skills using the software. That could be attributable to a badly calibrated monitor or more likely poor computer skills. I wonder how many people agree with your last statement about practicing photography more and using software less. For me taking the picture is just the first step. What I decide to do with it is where the fun starts. Id like to think of it as a 50-50 partnership between my photographic and software skills. All fun for me. My results arent always pleasing to others, or even to me. But I have fun trying and always pushing the envelope. I dont think anyone will ever become famous as an HDR photographer because there are so many of us. Some will be more consistent in creating awesome shots while others will remain mediocre to terrible. But no small handful will become famous because the software is too readily available so there is no mystery in the beauty of a well done HDR shot. Both the photographic and software skills will shine through on some. And they should be recognized.

i have to agree with you 100% bynx. taking the pic is fun...as fun as figuring out what im going to do with it later and exciting to think of what the outcome might look like.
the pics that i have that i like the best are the ones where ive spent time manipulating them. many of the pics in my stream have tonal changes, film effects, etc...some are more subtle, but some are heavy handed. ive never taken a picture and said "perfect...it's done". i always want to add what i think will really make it pop. some may think that means im less of a photog than a designer, but i like to believe that i have a fair balance of both. im my biggest fan. :blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back