HDR. The new Portrait Trend?

Yeah, JoeyL was the one that turned me onto the simple fact that I need to relax about PS and do whatever I feel like doing with it. I had so many people telling me I shouldn't PS my images because then I am faking my talent.

So once I saw his work, I thought - screw that... let me do what *I* want to do and who cares what others thinks.

A lot of people have told me this too. I get it usually from people who know nothing about photography or photo editing. They use the word "cheating."

But when I tell them that photo "editing" or "processing" has been done by photographers for dozens of years long before digital was even thought of, that usually shuts them up. The information is all there in the film negative or digital image file. Its the editor's job to know how to properly bring out that information. This is where you can show a lot of your true creative talent if you know how to do it.

Also, I am a strong advocate for HDR as a style. It definitely should NOT be viewed as crutch for someone who doesnt know how to focus, expose properly, or use lighting properly. You still have to get the lighting and exposure right, or HDRs as well as single images are worthless.

Thats my 2 cents.

He's also a DWF member. (and Bucketheads' Protogete, lucky guy!) His work is amazing.
wow... didn't know he is a DWF-er... haven't visited the place in a long time...

PhotoGoddess, Buckethead helped me once on a photo. I felt like the finger of God had touched me. LOL. He's one of my PhotoGods. Someday I want to grow up to sit in his light. :)
Dan, I don't post there much anymore. It's just.....not the same.

PhotoGoddess, Buckethead helped me once on a photo. I felt like the finger of God had touched me. LOL. He's one of my PhotoGods. Someday I want to grow up to sit in his light. :)
Dan, I don't post there much anymore. It's just.....not the same.

Buckethead's photography is awesome and his post work puts it over the top. :hail: I agree with ya... he ROCKS!!! :headbang:

He's on another forum. His real name is Mark Rideout. Everyone calls him buckethead, because in every photo you see of him pretty much, he has a bucket on his head. Even his Christmas Cards!!!! I laughed so hard when I got mine through the other forum's Christmas Card Exchange.

oh yeah, I know who mark ridout is. He's a wedding shooter in toronto (i think)

i agree HDR loosk good in some parts ot the photo, but not all parts. i am starting to hate HDR. peopel use it way to much. and most of the time its ugly.

I'm just getting use to some of the basics of PS. Still haven't gotten around to burning and dodging. Should I now try to pick up HDR? Some of the pictures are fantastic (NJMAN comes to mind), but some look like cartoons. Are there certain softwares to use for HDR? I wouldn't mind giving it a go, but not sure if I have time for the learning curve.

Most reactions

Back