HDR vs. Standard

Lackoffunding

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I did this shot both ways, and am wondering which is the preferred. To me, the HDR seems a bit cartoony...? The standard version probably isnt edited as well as it should be though.

thanks

HDR

495240989_2d7fe1bf0b.jpg

Standard

495240975_c6626f4935.jpg

Maybe back off the luminosity and saturation a bit in photomatix?

Funny to see that also you chose a light-rays-through-the-clouds photo to try Photomatix-HDR on it ... because I did the same.
Only have I never put my "normal", i.e. edited in PS, version plus the total amateur HDR (I can't do any better than that!) out here for discussion, though I always thought I might... but I won't. I don't like my HDR version, simple as that.

Which is NOT to say I don't like yours ... :scratch: ... only I think it suffers from the same mine did suffer from: too much saturation. Maybe some more editing work on the "normal" photo could do the trick in the end? I don't know...? I am having a hard time with the tone mapping myself, too. Never know what is good and what is over the top...

I think #2 is a little flat the HDR image is well done but I think the clouds are a little dark.

i like the watermarks, they add an element of symmetry to the image....

(i like HDR better)

Perhaps a combination of both could work

Try messing with some of the settings in the tone mapping part of photomatix to get a more realistic feel. There's no reason you can't extend the dynamic range without going over the top

You have ote so I figured I'd see what I could get out of the standard;

gv2.jpg

I started out trying to keep track, but after awhile...

You have ote so I figured I'd see what I could get out of the standard;

gv2.jpg

I started out trying to keep track, but after awhile...

that looks much more saturated than the original, and the detail in the clouds just isn't the same.

I prefer the original.
Just burn more detail in the clouds and maybe a bit more contrast overall.
Of course it's personal tase :)
I like some HDR's, but I just don't think it needs to be used here when you already have so much detail to work with in the original.

that looks much more saturated than the original, and the detail in the clouds just isn't the same.

I just tried bringing out the saturation in the original/standard- thought it was too much in the hdr. Didn't realize it was two different shots until I posted the edit.

Anyhow, Lackoffunding, I'm going to flip-flop and agree with Gizmo. There's still a lot that can be brought out of the standard shot.

messed around with it a bit... better?

499477785_7ba3590909.jpg

Most reactions

Back