HDR With a Nikon D3100

Hello everyone this is my first post. I am new to photography and am finding out I purchased the wrong camera. When I first decided I wanted to take up photography as a hobby it was after looking at some HDR photos. Well, because i'm a dumbo I confused DSLR with HDR and didn't realize I needed to make sure I had bracketing which the D3100 does not. I've been messing around with Photomatix Pro and taking pictures and adjusting exposure manually while using a tripod. It is super frustrating having to manually change my exposure levels and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm just out of my return period on my camera and I'm just so bummed right now. Again I'm brand new to photography so any suggestions on where I should start (even beyond HDR) will be greatly appreciated. :(

Frustration is what will make you good photographer "Instant Gratification" will not !!!!!!! How about going to Barnes and Noble purchase a book or two on basic photography,chill out and do some reading and shooting,you will learn what it's all about in time,good luck!!!

Last edited:
2-1/2 year old thread. I suspect he's figured it out or given up by now.

Thanks why doesn't this old crap get removed ?

It comes in handy when people are searching for a specific subject.

Falling off the log easy HDR

1) Set you camera on a tripod and point it at something.
2) Set you camera to 'M'
3) Set aperture to f-1/16.
4) Set you shutter speed to 500.
5) Take a shot.
6) If the highlights are not wholly within the histogram, double the shutter speed and shoot again until they are. This will be the upper limit.

7) Take a shot.
8) Reduce shutter speed by half.
9) Repeat until the blacks are all within the histogram.

10) You are done.

Falling off the log easy HDR

1) Set you camera on a tripod and point it at something.
2) Set you camera to 'M'
3) Set aperture to f-1/16.
4) Set you shutter speed to 500.
5) Take a shot.
6) If the highlights are not wholly within the histogram, double the shutter speed and shoot again until they are. This will be the upper limit.

7) Take a shot.
8) Reduce shutter speed by half.
9) Repeat until the blacks are all within the histogram.

10) You are done.

Thanks, going to try it with my D3100

Most reactions

Back