HDR....???

Matt....that was the point of my question , ISO should be manual/fixed and not auto, with a tripod and wireless remote.

Hummmm.....mirror lockup also??? for shake reduction???? interesting!

This setup is seems to be primarily for studio use....outdoors, it must be completely calm.

mirror lockup for blocking the light going into viewfinder:lol:

No, mirror lock up to prevent the moving mirror from causing camera shake.

ok now...this is a different term than i read ....can you explain what mirror lockup is with more details?.....

i always thought mirror lockup is just putting the mirror lock on the viewfinder...or that is called the viewfinder lock?.....anyways....can teach me how this is done....thanks

In an SLR, the mirror reflects light into a pentaprism, and through the viewfinder to your eye as a corrected image. When you press the shutter release, the mirror has to swing up out of the way so the light has a direct path to the film plane. The shutter opens and the light is recorded. With mirror lock, you compose the photo, and then manually raise the mirror prior to exposure. This prevents the vibration caused from the mirror swinging out of the way during exposure. In most cameras, with mirror lock enabled, pressing the shutter release once raises the mirror, and pressing it a second time fires the shutter. The mirror returns down to its normal position so you can compose and meter the next shot. Some manual cameras have a lever that rotates the mirror out of the way. You have to manually bring the mirror back down after exposure. This is handy if you are bracketing because once composed, you don't need the mirror until you are done bracketing exposures.

how about shutter shake?...is that significant?

I may be doing something wrong.......once the mirror is locked up, the shutter can not be activated with the shutter button. I need to turn the camera off the mirror falls into place, turn the camera on and take a photo.

Bummer......

P.S. I turned off the auto ISO.

It sounds like you might be using the "sensor cleaning" aspect of your camera, which does lock the mirror up, but only for cleaning. Maybe your camera does not offer mirror lock. You'll have to read your manual.

Shingfan, there's nothing you can do about shake caused from the shutter. The shutter has to open and close. The D70 and a few other cameras use an electronic shutter, where power is turned on and off to the sensor to control exposure. This would obviously not suffer from any shake. Shutter shake is pretty insignificant compared to mirror shake.

It sounds like you might be using the "sensor cleaning" aspect of your camera, which does lock the mirror up, but only for cleaning. Maybe your camera does not offer mirror lock. You'll have to read your manual.

Shingfan, there's nothing you can do about shake caused from the shutter. The shutter has to open and close. The D70 and a few other cameras use an electronic shutter, where power is turned on and off to the sensor to control exposure. This would obviously not suffer from any shake. Shutter shake is pretty insignificant compared to mirror shake.

i see....i'm going to try when i get home......hopefully i can figure it out from the on camera menu....:p

Just called Nikon.....Matt, you're right, the mirror lockup is for cleaning purposes only. There is no mirror lock on the D70 except for "blub" and that's for extended timed shots.

edit: I could't find anything in the ****'n manual on mirror lock only mirror lockup!

Your bowing student,
Paul

Most reactions

New Topics

Back