HDR

ShootHoops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ariellemyers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is HDR? I've heard a lot about it lately, but I still have no clue exactly what that is. Fill me in? :D I'm so out of the loop!

High Dynamic Range. Basically it's taking two or more images and combining them so that you can display a wider range of tones (shadows to highlights) than you could get with one single image.

Photoshop CS2 has an HRD function that takes several images and does it automatically...although it often looks weird.

Obviously, the images have to be exactly the same...tripod mounted landscape shots etc.

I see. I searched "HDR" in my PS CS2 and a few things came up. So if I take 2-3 of the same exact images and combine them in photoshop, my shots will look as cool as all those other HDR shots I've seen? :)

That's the idea. I think the Photoshop HDR works best with several images. They have to be bracketed, so that you capture a wider range of tones.

Some people try getting HDR with one RAW. Technically this would be EDR (Extended Dynamic Range) and usually doesn't look good. Set your camera on a tripod and take a few exposures at the exact same camera position. Just differ the shutter speed (not the aperture) and you should be able to get some HDRs.

I don't see many HDR images that I really like though.

Some people try getting HDR with one RAW. Technically this would be EDR (Extended Dynamic Range) and usually doesn't look good. Set your camera on a tripod and take a few exposures at the exact same camera position. Just differ the shutter speed (not the aperture) and you should be able to get some HDRs.

I don't see many HDR images that I really like though.

this actually wont work with some programs. If your program requires different EXIF data, obviously a single RAW shot that has been edited in a RAW editor to produce the effect of a bracketed shot will have the same EXIF.

and HDR is an aquired taste, due to the unnaturalness of the picture.

Sorry but different shutter speeds = different exposures=Different EXIF. I was pointing out that some people state 1 RAW can be used - not the view I hold.

*giggles* Thanks LaFoto! :) My tripod is also a monopod, but I find that it is most reliable when I'm using it as a monopod. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one of those expensive ones!

1 raw can be used, but not with automation. You have to combine two ore more exposures yourself, which is not hard to do. I prefer manually combing my exposures so I can control what tones I want where. It's basically mimicking a graduated neutral density filter.

matt, would you mind posting up any examples of your work using this technique. I'd like to see how it looks coming from someone who actually knows how to use the brush in a layer mask :lol:

This is actually two raw files, because the dynamic range is very high. They were put together in photoshop using a layer mask. If you are going to use 1 raw file, it has to be done sparingly. You will get very niosy shadows if you crank up too much exposure from the raw.

eternal_sunshine.jpg

Not that I'm all a master or anything, but I shoot three exposures. One at the 'correct' exposure, then one shot a full stop over and one a full stop under. I prefer a small aperture so I control the exposure by adjusting the shutter speed. Make sure the camera is solid on the tripod; the shots need to be the same as much as possible with the exception of exposure.

If you're just starting out, use .jpg. It's easier to work with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back