HDR?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ArkansasBandit, Apr 5, 2007.

1. ArkansasBandit

ArkansasBandit TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok so I have been into this for about 4-5 months now and I have no idea what HDR is that I see everyone talking about on here..PLEASE explaine

2. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Basically, your camera can only record a limited range of brightness. Like if you're inside a house and you have windows open and you use a slow shutter speed to correctly expose the inside, but the windows look bright white. Then, if you use a fast shutter speed to expose outside the windows properly, the inside is underexposed.

HDR is a technique to digitally merge the two (or more) shots together to create a High Dynamic Range - from very dark to very bright all combined into one image.

Wikipedia has more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging .

3. auer1816

auer1816 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Just thought I'd point out that there are plenty of people not using HDR techniques... 4-5 months without trying it is nothing to panic about :)

5. IrishDame

IrishDame TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was wondering too. I came to this part of the forum to ask.. but you beat me to it! Thanks for the vid link :D

6. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Dont succum to peer pressure, you dont have to use HDR, but it can help add some piz-am to your pictures if the lighting is very different (and indoor shot that includes a window with bright sunlight for example; chances are your room is expose and the window is over exposed: HDR fixes that)