He doesn't want a pro...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Vicelord John, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Vicelord John

Vicelord John TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I need some opinions and advice on this one please.

I work in a hotel as a concierge, and a guy was here visiting that is a longtime friend of our executive chef (you may have seen him on America's Wors Cooks or Iron Chef - Beau Macmillan.) The guy asked me (because the bell desk told him I shoot) to take pictures of he and his soon to be wife. They are doing a two person wedding and want someone to hang out with them for the day and take pictures. They don't want to pay a pro to do it and want to spend about $500... he says if they can't find someone then he will do it himself and put the camera on a tripod and use the self timer. He doesn't care as much about the results as much as just physically having pictures from the day.

I told him I don't feel comfortable shooting a wedding and while I feel comfortable I can take pictures he will really like, I am afraid of screwing up a day that can't be recreated. He didn't seem worried about it and told me that as long as the pictures turn out looking like him and his wife, he doesn't care. He is more interested in having someone riding around with them that knows where to go to take pictures (kind of tour guide'ish) which is actually my job to know and I know the state like nobody else.

What would you do?

2. tmyprod

tmyprod TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go for it.

3. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I say give it a shot. He seems pretty laid back which is awesome especially for a first go at something like a wedding. Better than someone really wanting you to do it but also putting you under tons of pressure. I mean he said as long as it's him, wife, and kid that's good. So even if everything was going wrong you could throw the camera on auto(worse case scenario) and at least get something lol. Go for it and have fun. Show them some sweet spots out there.
    TJ

4. nathanlegiehn

nathanlegiehn TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Id go for it as well. If you figure that his other option is a tripod and a self timer, there's no way you could produce worse. Give it a shot and enjoy an extra $500 in your pocket. They wont be disappointed.

5. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Always have a contract.

6. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go for it, no doubt about it.

7. Vicelord John

Vicelord John TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Can you tell me how this might be done? What would I include and disclude from a contract to protect myself?

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    +1 on "Always have a contract!".

A typical, and infamous, client pre-shoot statement:
    Oh, the small claims and civil court stories I can tell of casual shooters getting a rude (and expensive) awakening AFTER the shoot, when the client turns out to be not so laid back as they were before the shoot.

I'd tell them to consider using a remote release instead of the self timer and be sure to use a good tripod.

At any rate, you not only stand the chance to disappoint Mr. and Ms. Macmillan, but Mr. Macmillan's longtime friend (and your co-worker), the Executive Chef.

You may also run the risk of jeopardising your Concierge job in the bargain if the Macmillan's are paying customers of the hotel at the same time you provide this, ah, extra service.

I'd be checking the terms of my employment very closely.

Were the Macmillans to be unhappy with the results, post shoot, it's entirely feasible they could elect to include your employeer in any litigation on the basis of you being a member of the hotel staff, specifically in charge of special services for guests.

9. Vicelord John

Vicelord John TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no no, you misunderstood I believe.

Beau Macmillan is our exec chef. I don't know the people's names. And they were not paying guests here, just Beau's friend and they stayed at his house while vacationing here. Beau actually recommended me to them. I didn't even bat an eye before I said "I'm not comfortable doing a wedding."

Beau said "nah kid he is cool. He wont **** with you." I'm still nervous and KMH, I had that same thought. Anyone can be laid back before hand, but when they have to shell out the $500 they may become suddenly more discerning.

10. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    A consultation with a qualified attorney is always a wise move.

There are books like Business and Legal Forms for Photographers by Tad Crawford.

Failing that, there are various contract examples online.

That depends on Arizona statutes, and the expectations of yourself and your client.

11. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    I guess I did misunderstand, or you don't communicate very effectively, since in your OP you say, "The guy asked me (because the bell desk told him I shoot)", no mention of the executive chef in that context.

At any rate, don't do it without a contract that is effective in Maricopa County, and Phoenix, Arizona unless you're willing to fully accept the legal risks without.

12. Vicelord John

Vicelord John TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no, I communicated well enough. It's a misunderstanding on both of our parts so please do not turn it into an argument by rebutting with finger pointing.

And I'm still leaning toward not doing this.