Head cropping

PhotoriousMe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I realize this is a fairly general question because each image is different and can be processed in a number of ways.

How do you feel about cropping off part of the top of the head on shoulders up portraits? Is it a definite no no or are there times when it is OK?

Dave

I almost never like to crop the top of the head off in my own work, but for certain types of head shots and such it's not always bad. If it is done, it should be done in such a way as to indicate clearly that it was a deliberate artistic choice vice unintentional.

This is the portrait that I'm currently torn between the two crops. I prefer the tighter crop but again in doing so I purposely cropped off the top of the head. Opinions please.
Attitude.jpg

22.jpg

In this case, I would suggest cropping even further; say just above the highest petal of the flower.

the vertical orientation here works MUCH better.

Reactions: fmw
I would free crop so that the girls left eye is in the upper right thirds crosseye.

Then crop it so only 1px is remaining.

Thanks for the opinions. I've incorporated several of the suggestions. Does this improve the image? Gets rid of the blown out flower.

33.jpg

I also preferred the tight horizontal crop, it gives it the kind of drama you see in comics and anime, which is fitting with her facial expression. I also miss the flower and wouldn't be afraid to crop even more into her face and leave it as a longer horizontal. But, that's just me.
Also, am I the only one noticing that the editing is a little different? Her hair is more blonde in the first, and the whole image is a bit more yellow. I prefer the color balance in the 2nd, it looks more natural.

Most reactions

Back