Head shot

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
Another opening night!!! More head shots and my theater dribble.

Super duty proud to be working on Robert Harling's "Steel Magnolias". A bitter sweet comedy of the workings in a small town Louisiana hair salon. The play was made into a star studded movie. If you are not familiar with "Steel Magnolias" this shot will seem a little contrived.

In addition to lights and sound; I was asked to do the lobby head shots. I wanted the 80's cheese in the light. I had visions of a better background, but I was constrained to 6 minutes for 6 shots. This is the incomparable Jessica....... playing Truvy.

Nikon D1 ƒ4.5 @ 1/10 Tungsten WB. Focal length 45mm.
truvy9no.jpg

Thanks!!! I sometimes wonder if photographing actors and models is cheating. I mean; it's too easy or something. In this case I said "how would Truvy react to the camera? I took three shots. When I shoot bank presidents or whatever, I take a minimum of 36 exposures.

Double thanks!!! I would like to do a photo essay on theatre craft. I think it would not be easy. A lot of low and contrasty light. Plus trying not to distract the work would be tough. Hmm...

oh yea... I have to say that this theater is haunted. The family that (sort of) owns this theater is amazing and they have some stories to say the least. I can see my photos from the light board. It is cool watching people look at my work. Sort of a voyeuristic in a strange way.

Nice shot. If you want the eighties cheese shot, you need to use a hair light behind the subject. Get that nice glow through the big hair.

way cute and cool. the blue bg almost looks like a blue sky as if she was outside.

Much Thanks!!!

KevinR said:
Nice shot. If you want the eighties cheese shot, you need to use a hair light behind the subject. Get that nice glow through the big hair.
The thought crossed my mind. Never having used a hair light I had a couple of questions if any one can answer them. Would I need a light behind her pointing at her hair? Where is the most efecttive location for a hair light. Generally I do not have time to experiment. Usually the space is pretty confined.

Most reactions

Back