head shots for actors

nomav6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
just had a friend thats trying to get his acting career started and needs some head shots and asked me if I would take them and of course I said I would, but does anyone have any tips on how I should go about taking them? thanks

The first thing you need to do is find out what sort of image your friend wants to project - his mug shots are what will get him work.
The second thing you need to do is look at other actors' mugshots.
In the UK there is an actors directory called Spotlight. It is very useful to get an idea of what works. There should be an equivalent publication wherever you are. An actors agency should have it - but don't, for God's sake, buy a set. They cost hundreds of pounds.
If you get stuck use my PM box. I've done a few actors in my time, luvvy ;-)

hey, thanks for the tips, do you have some samples of the ones that you did, so I can check them out? if so send me a PM and I'll get you my gmail address.

Go to an acting agency and ask to look at their union actors. They'll probably gonna have a binder and you'll see what quality you need.

nomav6 said:
hey, thanks for the tips, do you have some samples of the ones that you did, so I can check them out? if so send me a PM and I'll get you my gmail address.

Will try and find some and post them on here, but it might take a while.

I just did this recently for a girl at my school. They were shots for her to get into an acting college. She got in so I guess they worked. She told me they are typically always vertical, black and white, and usually from shoulders up. My problem was lighting...but it was also my first try at it too. Check around the internet a bit, there are good examples you can go by, and some good tips too!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back