Head to head: XTi (50mm f/1.8) vs A80.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Innocence, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Innocence

Innocence TPF Noob!

Not comparable but still, here we go! A80 vs Xti + 50 1.8!!

Here's what I've noticed. In order of decreasing importance.
    1. Xti doesn't have the flip screen thing! Oh man, I tried to take a shot of these aloe vera flowers in my backyard from the TOP but they're as tall as me, and I couldn't. That makes taking some shots impossible!! (advice? haha)
    2. 50 1.8's DOF is really shallow at f/1.8! So it seems like a lot of things are not sharp. I need to get used to this, as in what aperature to use in what circumstances.
      It seems that it's NOT (GRRRRRR) use a larger aperature for low lighting!! (GRRRR) (or am I wrong? :p)
    3. I'm not sure if it's just me or what but the Xti seems to make things darker - like I'll need to +Ev to get what I like - and this in turn seems to make me use a higer ISO (although not much noise c.f. A80's [max] 400ISO) or makes me get camera shake.
    4. I like the bokeh haha, which isn't readily available on A80.
    Here's the aloe flower from the side.
    [​IMG]

More to come later as I notice them heehee.

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Yep... that's SLRs for you, there's not really a way of simulating the LCD used for framing on compact models. There are waist-level finders available for DSLRs but they're likely to be very expensive and may not be all that good for shots where the camera's raised above your head.

Again, that's not so much a weakness of the camera & lens and more a case of working out how to make the most of their strengths. For example the DOF is indeed likely to be very shallow at f/1.8. But then a shallow DOF is sometimes exactly what you want. Plus, with a max aperture of f/1.8 (combined with the XTi's high ISO levels) you will be able to take shots in low light levels that would be impossible with a compact model.

Sorry, not really sure what you mean by this... you can use a larger aperture (i.e. a lower f-number) for shooting handheld in low available light levels. That is in fact one of the main advantages of a wide aperture. If on the other hand you mean a smaller aperture (a higher f-number)... well yes it will be harder to use a smaller aperture without a tripod in low light levels, but the same would be true of the A80 or any other camera for that matter.

Although the images from the Xti may seem darker in comparison, that could simply be because the A80 was erring more on the side of overexposure (compact digitals often do). When you open the images in Photoshop or a similar program you should be able to increase the brightness and bring out shadow detail (especially if you shoot RAW) whereas you won't be able to retrieve detail that is blown-out by overexposure. Also like you said, Canon's sensors handle noise very well indeed, so it's not so bad if you have to increase the ISO.

Finally, I like the shot!

3. Innocence

Innocence TPF Noob!

Thanks for the feedback!

With regards to the not larger aperature for low lighting thing, I was just thinking if I wanted a not super thin DOF in low light conditions, it would be a bit of a boo boo because I'd probably already be at ISO 800 or 1600, and I would want to let as much light into the sensor as possible, but I'd also want to stop down as much as I can, cos the lens performs better(?), and also to increase DOF.

Such ugly tradeoffs haha.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use a tripod. Then you can stop down to whatever you want...because shutter speed won't be an issue (unless your subject is moving).

5. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    or a flash and throw some light on your subject

6. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

If you want a large D.O.F for macro shots you just HAVE to use a Tripod and a small aperture ....Sorry just no way out of that one.
    If you do a lot of Macro, Sigma do a 105mm or a 50 mm f2.8 DG Macro with a min aperture of f45 ! ! ! on the canon .but gives better results at f22.... But you might need a VERY powerful ring flash (or a lot of time on a very sunny wind free day....). Sigma also do an EM-140 DG EO- ETTL II ring flash which would help a lot. these are not cheap (but you can find bargains on line like I did) (Treat with caution). But they are much cheaper than the Canon equivelent, and in my mind every bit as good, you don't pay for the designer lable. I don't know if anyone else has any thoughts in this direction...... Having just moved from a G5 I too miss the flip screen... BRILLIANT for getting away from 5ft 72 views of EVERYTHING... Have you evertried lying down to get a different angle of a crowd shot ! ! !