Head...

Slaphead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
... for the want of a better title. I know there flaws with this picture in terms of what I wanted to achieve - focus is around the mouth and not the eyes, and really I should have thought about a tighter aperture (experience will, hopefully, someday teach me this), but I still think it stands in it's own right.

C&C as always welcome.

DSC_0175.jpg

Hey Slaphead,
A couple of thoughts if I may.
I would agree with you that the focus should have been toward the eye, but, I'm not so sure that a shallower DOF than that achieved here at f5 would have been beneficial. I feel that all the detail available in the face should be retained and I think by moving your focus up it appears you would have achieved that, at this aperture setting. You may even find it necessary to stop down a little more if you wanted to achieve a full face in focus.
As far as this image is concerned, I think a little adjustment raising the mid-tones (without adjusting highlights) would make this 'pop'.
I like the composition allowing dead space.

Hi SympL,

I hear exactly what your saying, but I have to admit that this one was a rush job - my family was visiting me and I was getting the "how many more photos of that thing do you need". Also when I said "tighter" aperture, what I meant was an aperture such as F8 - 11 to bring the whole into focus - given that I was running 1/500s at ISO 100 I had plenty of room to do that - inexperience on my part. I'll certainly look at raising the midtones tomorrow, but I have to admit I kind of like the dark nature of the face against the sky.

And seriously thanks for the highly constructive criticism :)

Most reactions

Back