Headshot Ad Feedback?

text is good.
for the picture though, i would go with what you figure a "professional headshot" would be, or what you figure your clients will be looking for.

looks like someone just learned about photoshop layer effects...

these look like HS student work. I'd suggest hiring a designer.

text is good.
for the picture though, i would go with what you figure a "professional headshot" would be, or what you figure your clients will be looking for.

Yeah, I wanted something a little more inviting. I'll look some more.

You are very good at being condescending, my friend.

text is good.

Yeah, I wanted something a little more inviting. I'll look some more.

just needs a little more fine tuning.
remember, its going to be displayed on social media sites for web browsing on computers and phones, not on the cover of Vogue or Mustache aficionado

You are very good at being condescending, my friend.
That's one of his best attributes. And cynacism all in the name of veiled positive feedback. :)

I like the adjustments since the first post.
just find a professional female model headshot.

Hey don't knock the choice of models. Let the anorexic twiggy look go away forever. Real men don't feel threatened by real women with a little meat and muscle on them. :anonymous:

Hey don't knock the choice of models. Let the anorexic twiggy look go away forever. Real men don't feel threatened by real women with a little meat and muscle on them. :anonymous:

whos knocking the choice of models? its not the model thats the issue, but if hes going to use it to advertise professional headshots, thats the type of photo that should be used.
the pose is the issue. not the model

whos knocking the choice of models? its not the model thats the issue, but if hes going to use it to advertise professional headshots, thats the type of photo that should be used.
the pose is the issue. not the model

Talking about the earlier comment about shoulders looking like a linebacker. I'm also not so sure he hasn't already made a good choice. Quoting your earlier comment "remember, its going to be displayed on social media sites for web browsing on computers and phones, not on the cover of Vogue or Mustache aficionado" . This young lady looks pretty, and a whole lot more like a representative of what a quality portrait would look like of an everyday person. Kinda like when I put on a suit.

797.jpg

Okay, here's a different take. I've noticed some peers going this route of just posting a photo, and including their details in their post.. So something like this as a Facebook post, with a bit of design on the photo:

Headshots by Daryll Morgan Photography - $150 for full portrait session, including choice of location, 2 outfits, and 5-10 edited photos. Creativity included! Message me, or contact me at [email protected]. See the rest of my work at www.daryllmorgan.com. Discounts available for students, military, and non-profit.

Tess.jpg

...Talking about the earlier comment about shoulders looking like a linebacker. ...
Just to clarify, the "shoulders" comment was mine, and was in no way meant as a comment on the physical attributes of the model, rather it referred to the fact that, IMO, the choice of pose and crop and layout of the ad placed her shoulder and arm in such a position as to make them appear much larger than they should. This goes back to posing basics, "Whatever is closest to the camera will appear largest" and the reason we generally ask models to lean forward ever so slightly.

...This young lady looks pretty, and a whole lot more like a representative of what a quality portrait would look like of an everyday person.
Absolutely no argument there at all, BUT... what is being advertised are headshots, NOT traditional portraits, and there are distinct differences. I think if the OP displayed the full image of the young lady in version two, it would be a very good image, but as-cropped and used as a hook for headshots or business portraits? I don't think it's the best choice.

@tirediron no disrespect intended toward your comment, I've read enough of your posts to realize you were talking from a technical standpoint. I merely referenced the shoulders comment because there always seems to be an inclination to show the model with perfect features in advertising. The reality is the people that buy those products "don't" have perfect features. I enjoy your Vets images so much, because these are real people, who have lived real lives, and your portraits reflect that. JMO but the OP was talking about putting it on FB, were it will be viewed by real people, but then again given the vanity of people, they might want to believe they to will look like the perfect model if the OP does their photo. Might be interesting to try both and see which brings the most responses.

Alright, boys, let's play nice. Play nice and talk about my latest iteration pretty please.

To me the problem was the image was too casual and didn't show her in the best way. Seems like for head shots the subjects need to look more work ready or work appropriate. The above is a nice portrait of her but still not professional looking to be usable as a head shot for job searching.

Look into how to do ad layout; you're somewhat reinventing the wheel trying to figure it out. There are resources out there. Your emphasis seems to be getting followers and probably you need to expand that and take your marketing further. I did a webinar thru ASMP that was about marketing using social media. Find resources there or thru PPA, etc.

I think too you still need to keep working at bringing up your skill level to be more consistent so you can be competitive. Some portraits are lovely and others seem to need work on expressions and posing. There are some really nice event/performance photos but some look like there was cropping and enlarging or lack of framing; you need to consistently get good compositions with good backgrounds. The text on your site could use some editing too; I'm not clear from what you wrote exactly what you're trying to express to site visitors.

The cosplay section seems much more consistent in quality. I wonder if that's because that's more of a passion, and you may have spent more time (and practice) with that. Keep working at consistency elsewhere and think about what do you want to do - continue with events and portraits? or specialize more in performance and cosplay photography? Sometimes people seem to do well with a particular niche or specialization and get known for being good at it.

My plan is to promote mostly to the theatre/acting community. And being more casual and "real" is desired there.

Most reactions

Back