headshot critique needed

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Lunatick, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Lunatick

Lunatick TPF Noob!

I'm experimenting with different softening techniques for portraits (glamour shot type stuff) and came up with this in photoshop.

[​IMG]

Too much? Could I go with a little more? little less? Any other critique is also welcomed, I'm always looking to improve on what I have!

2. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect TPF Noob!

My first impression without reading what you had wrote i thought the fouc was on the shirt.
    And i think more light in the eyes would help.

3. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Its a little dark on the one side of her face but other then that its not too bad.

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

There are two "rules" I was taught about this type of portrait, which you may like to consider: 1. Always get catchlights in the eyes. 2. Never let a nose shadow touch the upper lip.

As for the softening, it looks like you've overdone it a bit with something like the clone tool or similar.

Rob

5. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you have "hatchet lighting" use fill flash to achieve highlights in the eyes and take shdows from the subjects face then apply your softening filter, portraits need to be well lit.

6. midnitejam

midnitejam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Rob, I'm just curious about this comment. Which formal lighting technique are you referring to?

7. Lunatick

Lunatick TPF Noob!

Yeah I was thinking it was a little overdone.

As for the shadows, my intention was to have some, I used heavy directional light and no flash to get it, I also have many with even lighting all over. I'm thinking this type of "dramatic" lighting doesn't work too well with softening.

8. midnitejam

midnitejam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your lighting arrangement is a good attempt at "Rembrandt Lighting". Rembrandt is used most often to portray drama in movies. Whenever a movie camera pans to and stops on a head shot in movies, the Rembrandt Lighting technique is nearly always used. Some distinguishable characteristics of this lighting technique is 2:00 o'clock or 10:00 o'clock side lighting that creates a nose shadow that extends to the jaw line; and a triangular highlight that appears upon the cheek fartherst from the main light.

Your image is missing critical catchlights in the eyes.

Pick up a September issue of GT and notice how the commercial photographers use Rembrandt Light almost exclusively. And you'll see many examples where 'softening' is used with low-key and dramatic large light ratios

9. Lunatick

Lunatick TPF Noob!

I'll have to do that, thanks!