Heavenly Grazing

chrisfenison

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First post, just registered. Neat forum here. What do you folks think of this image?

DSC_3801.jpg

1/10 sec, f/18.0

I like the picture a lot but the cow blends in a little. Maybe mess with the levels in photoshop so that he stands out a little.

jtanyawilliams said:
I like the picture a lot but the cow blends in a little. Maybe mess with the levels in photoshop so that he stands out a little.

Here's another version with a little different lighting effect.
DSC_3801variant.jpg

I like the original more. I can live with the cow blending in because I realize the cow is in shadow. Did you use the shadow/highlight tool in photoshop on the first one to bring out the shadow detail?

Thanks for all the replies. Here's one more variant with the same lighting and sepia tone as the first, but with the cow a little lighter. Better?

DSC_3801variantb.jpg

voodoocat said:
I like the original more. I can live with the cow blending in because I realize the cow is in shadow. Did you use the shadow/highlight tool in photoshop on the first one to bring out the shadow detail?

Yes, although not much (5% or so.) This shot is a combination of two exposures. One for the sky, and one for the shadow of the tree.

Nicely done...and welcome to the forum :cool:

I like the first one the best, the colors and nice and you've got a really strong composition.

They are all great images. I agree with voodoocat, the first one is the best and the last image is very close.

In the last pic, the processing makes the cow the main subject and the cow hijacks the image.

In the first pic, the sun, lighting, and technique is the main interrest. In the last pic, the cow is the main interrest. They're two separate portraits actually. Both are great images.

Would you share your processing technique in the first image?

hobbes28 said:
I like the first one the best. The way the cow blends in makes you search the picture.
Agreed. When I was composing this picture, I didn't intend for the cow to be the focal point. But, since everyone seemed to be mentioning it, I thought maybe I had made a mistake. I'm glad to see there are a couple of people who enjoy the first, blended cow, version better.

Thanks for all the feedback.

canonrebel said:
Would you share your processing technique in the first image?
I'd be happy to.

Combined two exposures.
The line between the two exposures was to distinct so I gave it a small gaussian blur.
Flattened image.
Convert to sRGB.
Shadow/Highlight (5-10% on the shadows, 0% on the highlights).
Resize.
Unsharp Mask (75%, 1.5px, 0).
Photo Filter (Sepia Tone, 95%)
Save.

I think that's it, but this is just from memory. I actually took this pic a couple weeks ago, and did the post processing for it then. Thanks for the critiques. Any other questions, just ask.

Most reactions

Back