Helios 44 on a DF

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking on ebay for a helios 44, and am a little nervous when I read things like "Professionally adjusted lens allowing to reach infinity on Nikon DSLR cameras without modifying optical schema".... needing an adapter, etc. I'm mechanically illiterate so not sure how big of a deal these things are. (Adapters scare me, because the negative reviews I've read about them mention them getting stuck on the lens or camera body)

Am I better off jumping in price bracket and getting something like the lens baby twist 60 thats specifically made for my camera mount? Or is this really no big deal at all to get a modified lens?

I don't know about Nikon mount adapters, but I am using with no problems M42 adapter on K-mount, digital and film, utilising my collection of Super Takumars and also Helios 44, no modifications.

Ok. Look for Helios 44-2. With adapter going 1.05 mm into the nikon mount to reach the right flange distance , there will be no problem with turning the focusing ring. M 44-3 will have this problem, as focusing ring will touch through body. (Same on Pentax) Zenith bodies were built differently, mount was protruding forwards from the body.
Get this 44-2 also as it is pre-set lens with front ring closing the aperture in stepless fashion with works very well with advanced light metering in step-down mode.

Ok. Look for Helios 44-2. With adapter going 1.05 mm into the nikon mount to reach the right flange distance , there will be no problem with turning the focusing ring. M 44-3 will have this problem, as focusing ring will touch through body. (Same on Pentax) Zenith bodies were built differently, mount was protruding forwards from the body.
Get this 44-2 also as it is pre-set lens with front ring closing the aperture in stepless fashion with works very well with advanced light metering in step-down mode.

Thanks you! I will see what I can find in that area....

Do you have any thoughts on getting one that has been "professionally adjusted?" Is that something I should or should not trust?

I would probably prefer to have a lens that has been professionally adapted to achieve Infinity focusing without usina an adapter for use on any F-mount Nikon camera, as opposed to needed a specialize, rare adapter, or God forbid, some cheap glass-contiaining adapter.

The basic idea is that the flange-to-focal-plane distance is modified, to be equal to a real F-mount lens; that is the "ideal" way to use a legacy lens on an F-mount camera. Pentax and Canon cameras would be fine with just an adapter.

There is no way to "professionally adjusted" lens once is built for small change. Lens could be rebuilt, clean inside, glass may receive new coatings, may be reglued if that is the problem and then realign back to original position. That always cost a lot. Any small change will throw the whole system out of whack. Maybe by adjusted they mean adapter with lens. Similar to old day focal length convertor which usually doubled it. Always at the high cost of image quality. Don't go for it, Helios in any case is soft enough.
07b3e23a0152a3809f232fb0e0311ec9.gif

This is Helios formula. 6 lenses in 4 groups.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back