Hello all...Newbie here!!!

carebearmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and I have a few questions.

I love photography and was wanting to know how is the best way to start a home based Photography Business. I have taken pictures at a couple weddings and take plenty pictures of my children. I have had so many of my friends tell me that I should start my own photography business but I don't know where to start. :confused: Right now I am doing home childcare and I truely love it, but photography is my passion. :hugs:

Can you help me get in the right direction?

Thanks & God Bless

Laura:lovey:

Oh, Forgot to add.....Currently I have a Sony Mavica CD 250. It takes the mini discs and I really love it. But it only has 2 mega pixels.

What Digital Camera would you recommend to start out with?

First, welcome to the forum.
Secondly, as an owner of a micro buisness in photography, here are a few pointers: (Please do not be frightened or scared off by this list:)

1: Get as much education in both photography AND business as possible.
2: Learn to keep books on money and especially on the glorious politicians that steal the money from your earnings.
3: Although the enthusiasm for photography is undoubtedly there, I will STRONGLY advice that you get at least an entry level pro DSLR. Not really to slam your camera, but the reality is that the newest DSLRs are at 12 Mp now. In order to keep in buisness, you have to give the customer a competitive product at a good price. Hate to say it, but the disk camera really wont cut the mustard here.

You did ask what kind, here is the best answer I can give. Nikon D50 or D70 with a kit. Or a Canon setup, where you can get a good body such as a 10D or such.
4:Ancillary items: lenses, studio lights, First Class Tripod, camera bags, cleaning equipment, Photoshop, remote releases, batteries for anything and everything, a Wedding Wardrobe if that is something you wish to do, soft box, props if you wish to do portrait.
5: INSURANCE!!(this is for the equipment AND liability).
6: As many books as you can get and read them till they fall apart.
7: Get involved with a local group and start networking and setting up advertising. You also learn a great deal from them.

All of this requires time and money. Unless you have bazillions, it will take time. Be patient, and good luck.

Thanks for your advise. I am going to do a lot of research on this before I go crazy about it. I have thought about this for years. I just need to get out there and just do it....after I do more research of course.

Thank you so much. I will check those cameras out too.

One last cautionary note: portraits are different than weddings. You can come up with any number of reasons for a second portrait sitting if something went wrong.

Torus34 said:
One last cautionary note: portraits are different than weddings. You can come up with any number of reasons for a second portrait sitting if something went wrong.

Oh, I agree. Weddings freak me out. I have only done 2 and that was for friends of mine. I did not charge them a thing and I told them not to expect much. I did not want them to be ****ed at me if they did not turn out. When I get this thing started, I will not do weddings till I am majorly confident that I am good enough to do so.

I'd like to do pictures for people at their home. I have seen some great pictures taken of children and families at their home.

I wish you the very best. I'm sure there are several Forum members who are doing children's portraits. They will give you their best should you have questions.

Thank you very much. It really means a lot to have people to help guide me in the right direction and give me the cold hard truth.

I'd like to add something to Soocom1's list:
1a: Get as much practice as possible with photography.

Though that may be moot, as you haven't posted any images yet. But even so, if you get new equipment, I think you need to get good with it before you can really put yourself out there. I don't think it's very fair to customers to experiment too much on them.

Good luck with it! If you do home-care, it sounds like you have a captive audience. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back