Hello and Help please!?

I've kept this separate, because it is a different topic. The problems that active autoexposure causes with motion picture cameras do not matter so much with film cameras. Do you have a clear understanding about why you don't use autoexposure with the Super 8 cameras?

Best,
Helen

A light leak with film would cause massive overexposure and the processed print...

That is simply not true. A very small breach in the light seals can cause a small enough light leak to produce results similar to the OP. The light leak might be small enough that it might not be noticeable on each frame. For example, you shoot the first 10 frames quickly within a few seconds of each other. Then you advance to the 11th frame and place the camera down for an hour. The first 10 frames might not show the issue due to the small amount of time those frames were located behind the main shutter curtain. The 11th frame will have an hour exposure to a small light leak thus might produce a print that visibly shows a light leak.

I have several old cameras in my collection that exhibit this issue. I just haven't gotten around to changing the light seals on the cameras. I had one that had a light leak but I was ok just as long as I kept the bottom half of a never-ready case on the camera.

I agree with usayit - I wrote pretty much the same thing half way down my first post (#15).

Best,
Helen

well yes my camera does have a manual rewind on it. If this is in fact the problem do you know of any solution to fixing it and/or avoiding it all together?

All I was told, was to be careful when rewinding the film - try not to rewind too fast and try to keep the turning motion at an even speed. :confused: Not a lot of help I realize, but thats apparently the only "fix" for the problem.

Good luck and I hope you can determine the exact problem with your camera soon.

Most reactions

Back