hello everyone!!!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by gurumasta, Nov 20, 2005.

1. gurumasta

gurumasta TPF Noob!

hello everybody. i am brand new to this hobby as of a couple days ago. ive read a little bit and understand very little. it is my first time on a photography forum. any good links for a beginner? i know nothing. also, i am looking at getting a camera for christmas, and my question is, should i go nuts now and get a camera that isnt a point and shoot, or should i start easy and go with like a fujifilm s9000 to test the waters. i will mainly be using the camera for pictures of my fish tanks (mostly macro) and my daughters birthday parties and things of that nature. . thanks in advance, derek

2. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Hi and welcome Derek!

A good place to start is the sticky at the top of this forum. As to whether to go the whole hog or not... this is something only you can answer. A dSLR would probably be the best thing in terms of photographic ability and versatility, but if you're only after snapshots it's an expensive way to do it.

Rob

3. LizM

LizM TPF Noob!

I agree with Rob. I would add though that for fishtank photos you need to be able to override the flash but for birthday parties a Point and Shoot will probably do what you want. Go to the local store and get your hands on a lot of the cameras. Look for intuitive controls and a good fit in your hands along with the features you really want.

4. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome Derek to TPF. Glad you found us and look forward to helping where we can. Rob & Liz gave you good advise, when you have more questions, don't be a stranger.

5. gurumasta

gurumasta TPF Noob!

thank you for the advise and the replies. i will go to the local photo shop and drill them with some questions and get my hands on some different cameras.