Hello from Los Angeles

Ramesses

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi:

I joined the forum yesterday and this is my first post. I’m not new to photography, but haven’t taken a serious photographs in over 20 years. Therefore, I’m new – forgot almost everything.

I learned to take photographs with my father’s Zeiss Ikon Super Contaflex film camera – great camera and what a lens! Later in life I got excited about SLR’s and got the Canon AE1, which I considered a comedown, and probably it was, until now! After evaluating the different alternatives for a digital camera, I came to the conclusion that I want my AE1 back! I still have it, but it is film - forget it!

At the present, I am evaluating different Nikon models but zeroing in on the Nikon D50 for many reasons (this is probably a topic for a different forum.) To make my story shorter, I am basically a photographer without a camera. I have no idea where the Contaflex is and the Canon has not worked in 20 years and seems to be in a deep sleep, probably in a coma.

One final observation. I always thought of myself as a fairly good photographer (well…compared to my friends) until I saw the photos in this site. Fantastic photographs! Wow! I now realize that I’m an old baby in diapers, but willing to listen and learn. That’s it!

Thanks for allowing me in.

Best regards,

Ramesses

PS: Why Ramesses? Why not? I might be Ancient but certainly not Egyptian. I’m a lover of Ancient Egypt. One word of caution. Do not get me going on this subject, I won’t be able to stop talking about it J.

Welcome to the forum...and welcome back to photography.

The D50 is a great camera, as are most of the currently avaliable digital SLR cameras. The best advice I can think to give you, is to go into a store and hold the different models and brands. They are all very capable tools so the fit and layout that suits you best, is probably the right one for you.

Welcome to the Forum.

welcome to the forum :)

just to celebrate your arrival .....

;)

Ramesses II:

egypt06_094.jpg

Hi:

I joined the forum yesterday and this is my first post. I’m not new to photography, but haven’t taken a serious photographs in over 20 years. Therefore, I’m new – forgot almost everything.

I learned to take photographs with my father’s Zeiss Ikon Super Contaflex film camera – great camera and what a lens! Later in life I got excited about SLR’s and got the Canon AE1, which I considered a comedown, and probably it was, until now! After evaluating the different alternatives for a digital camera, I came to the conclusion that I want my AE1 back! I still have it, but it is film - forget it!

At the present, I am evaluating different Nikon models but zeroing in on the Nikon D50 for many reasons (this is probably a topic for a different forum.) To make my story shorter, I am basically a photographer without a camera. I have no idea where the Contaflex is and the Canon has not worked in 20 years and seems to be in a deep sleep, probably in a coma.

One final observation. I always thought of myself as a fairly good photographer (well…compared to my friends) until I saw the photos in this site. Fantastic photographs! Wow! I now realize that I’m an old baby in diapers, but willing to listen and learn. That’s it!

Thanks for allowing me in.

Best regards,

Ramesses

PS: Why Ramesses? Why not? I might be Ancient but certainly not Egyptian. I’m a lover of Ancient Egypt. One word of caution. Do not get me going on this subject, I won’t be able to stop talking about it J.

Hello Rasmesses. Now aren't you glad you joined? I told you the people were nice here.

Have fun and I will let you know how the D80 is working out!

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for your warm welcome. Sorry, I did not get back sooner, but I have been busy especially looking for a camera.

I really liked the marble photo of GrandGrandGrand…Grandpapa Ramesses II J. Hey, what I’m told that I descend from a long line of very distinguished and accomplished brigands and horse thieves, one has to create our own ancestry. Ramesses II is a good start!

I ordered a camera today – brand new Nikon D40 – from “The Imaging World” – in New York (I hope the transaction goes smoothly.) They are an authorized Nikon dealer. Since I live very close to El Segundo (Nikon’s West Coast Service and Repair Center,) I can always drive there it if something is wrong with it (I hope not!)

I know what the D40 is and what it is not – it is not a D200 or D80. However, it is hard, really hard, to be a photographer without a camera. I have to get back into photography and this is a good start.

Now I can participate here.

Best regards,

Ramesses

Hello Rasmesses. Now aren't you glad you joined? I told you the people were nice here.

Have fun and I will let you know how the D80 is working out!

Hi Grafiks:

I agree. This is a great forum and I know I’ll have a lot of fun here. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

I finally took the plunge today and ordered a D40. I really wanted the D80, but finances led me in the D40 direction. Now I need the 50-200 lens, and… J Oh well, one thing at a time. I really have to learn how to work that thing.

Best regards,

Ramesses

Hi Grafiks:

I agree. This is a great forum and I know I’ll have a lot of fun here. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

I finally took the plunge today and ordered a D40. I really wanted the D80, but finances led me in the D40 direction. Now I need the 50-200 lens, and… J Oh well, one thing at a time. I really have to learn how to work that thing.

Best regards,

Ramesses

Cool. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have not done a serious shoot since I bought the D80. I will do that soon and post some pics.

You know, this forum inspired me to create a new, unrelated forum. I am almost ready to start promoting it. I used some free forum software called myBB. It's very similar to the software this forum uses.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum.

BTW, what's the weather like there... we're going to attempt a Disneyland trip next week.

Welcome to TPF!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back