Hello from the North of Scotland

SleepyLizard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sleepylizard.iofm.net
Hi folks,

Thought I'd do the right thing and introduce myself although I've already posted a couple of pics. (Don't worry - the two are in the one thread :) )

I was born in Scotland and have also lived in Scotland for since 1998. However, in between I spent 34 years in Asutralia. Over the years I've had various SLR cameras and still have my Canon EOS 500n. However I find myself using only my Canon G3 digital now as I can takes photos as much as I want without further cost.

This looks like a promising site. I really like the layout and the few people I've met so far seem friendly enough :) I think what makes or brakes this type of site is how active the members are. Not just in submitting photos but in replying to other peoples work. Looking through the pages there seems to be a lot of submissions with 0 to 3 replies. I'm hoping that just because it's a relatively new site :)

Alan

SleepyLizard said:
This looks like a promising site. I really like the layout and the few people I've met so far seem friendly enough :) I think what makes or brakes this type of site is how active the members are. Not just in submitting photos but in replying to other peoples work. Looking through the pages there seems to be a lot of submissions with 0 to 3 replies. I'm hoping that just because it's a relatively new site :)

Howdy,

This is the friendliest photo forum type site I've run across, and I cruise a few of them. I always recommend this one to folks who've been turned off by bad attitudes on other sites. While on some sites it seems to be a competition of who knows the most, who shoots the best, etc..., here on thephotoforum.com the main attitude I pick up is a general love/fascination with photography. It's very refreshing.

This site isn't as big as some, but there are plenty of regular posters, and they cover a wide range of styles, interests, skill levels, etc.... There are folks who just picked up a camera yesterday, people who have been shooting all their life, and lots in between, and they are using all sorts of different kinds of equipment and techniques.

I think that sometimes it appears like there aren't many replies to a particular post because that question has been asked before, and the same people don't always reply again. A search may reveal many similar posted questions with a half dozen replies each; all together it adds up to a lot of info. If you stick around you'll learn that I can be pretty long winded (or keyboarded?), but at the same time, if I replied at length to a question the week before, I don't always reply when i see the same question again the next week.

Anyway, welcome, and since I'm a film-geek, put down that digital, and pick up that beautiful Voigtlander!

Hi SleepyLizard, welcome to the forum.

This forum is great. There are a lot of regular posters on this site and I'm sure they'll all jump at the chance to answer your questions. :D

Welcome aboard Sleepylizard!
In regards to your remarks concerning few comments to some postings there may be some cases where people have just posted pics purely for others to view.
I know I do this a lot and if people comment that's fine and if they don't that's fine too but I believe that if people post and ask for comments they surely get them, at least I hope that's a true statement!
Personally, I comment if there's something in a pic that grabs my attention or appeals in some way but I'm also relatively new to photography and I don't feel qualified to criticize in most cases and particularly in matters of technique.
There's also a lot of areas that typically don't appeal to me (B&W for one) so unless there's something special there I don't comment.
Any comments I make normally just express what I noticed about the pic.
Please forgive my ramblings and hope you have fun on the site...enjoy!

Thanks very much for the welcome!

Hope no one took my comment on "commenting" as a criticism. I mean I've only been here a day :D I was mainly refering to the photo galley section but I think I'm just used to busier sites. From what I've seen I quite like it here so I hope you don't mind me hanging around :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back