Hello from Toronto!

JM18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I'm Julia from Toronto, Ontario. I'm a freelance photographer and I'm starting up a new business! I'm actually having a really hard time coming up with a name. Since you're here, would you mind helping me out a bit!? :)

I'm considering adding the word "Studios" to my photography name instead of "Photography" so for example, it would be "Smile Studios" (NOT the actual name, just an example). However, I do not have a physical studio space yet and probably wont for a few years. For the time being I plan on meeting clients in coffee shops, their house, my house, wherever they feel most comfortable. Do you think it's okay to use the term Studios in my name if I don't have one?

Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear your opinions. And if you have any suggestions for names for a Family/Engagement/Couples photography business I'd be so so grateful to hear them! I LOVE making new friends from all over the world, it's my favourite, so please don't be shy! Thank you so much!

Julia

Welcome aboard Eh!

Picking a name can be tough. I once picked a name for my photography company (after just using my name for a few years). I couldn't find anyone else using it, I registered a domain name etc. Then I went to register the business name with the city/province, and it turned out that someone had registered the same name only a few days before I did. Because it was not an incorporated business, there were no rules against using the same name, so I went ahead as planned. I didn't know if they were a real pro, or just someone just dabbling.

I never got around to making a new website, I just continued to use the old one. Then, in one of the photography classes that I teach, I ran into the lady who had registered the name. Since I was basically still using the old name/website, I told her that I would abandon the name and she could even have the domain name if she wanted it.

Anyway, I think that for picking a name, you should first search for an available domain name. Having a memorable and easy to spell domain/website name can make a big difference. And while you can use a different domain name than your company name, it's usually better if they are similar or the same.

Most reactions

Back