Hello getting my first camera!HELP

Lemmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello there I need some help picking my first camera.

I am not looking to go SUPER pro in Photography I own a WebDesign studio that is my main business and what I like to do. But I need a GOOD camera that will serve me well when it comes to taking close up photos as well as big formats like "panorama pictures" what I mean by this if I need to take a photo of a client close up I would like to get a nice crisp photo. As for "panorama" expression I would also like to take it with me when i travel so if I do see something nice like a building or a picture of a city from far away I would like to be able to pull it off as well.

I am not looking to spend 3,000 - 4,000 - 10,000

I would like to stick to about 1000-1700 range

So what you guys think is the best way to go for me since I am new and not too experienced when it comes to this.. Some nice to start me off with.

Thanks all help is appreciated ...

No one has anything to say??? come on help out .. Thanks

There are great cameras in the market right now. As consumers we're benefiting greatly from the intense competition amongst well-funded manufacturers.

Simply parsed, there's three types to choose from. Point'n'Shoots, the fixed-lens creative tools, and SLRs.

P'n'S cameras are very limited in what they can do, but are highly portable. There's a thousand different cameras in this segment, none of which I would want to recommend if you're seeking to do creative work. The tool set is too limited, though some of them give spectacular pics.

The fixed-lens mid-market cameras are very good, and I recommend them to creative photographers as a nice portable alternative if their other camera is a big SLR. Three that stand out to me are Canon G9, the Leica D-Lux 3, and Ricoh GR II. These are brilliant cameras that all have substantial manual controls, yet are portable.

Then there is the SLR segment, which allows a lot of creativity, as well as systemic scalability. It's highly competitive, meaning you're going to get a great camera for not much money. Strong contenders are Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax, each with a LOT of history, and lots of new and "legacy" lenses. You can an extremely capable camera for not much money, but skip the included lens and buy jus the body. Then buy a better lens - I suggest a 17-85 as a useful focal range for shooting portraits as well as landscapes and buildings.

What are you finding in your research?

I re-read your second paragraph just to make sure I was heading along the path you seem to want to take. IMO, it sounds like an SLR may better suit your desires to shoot close-ups and panos. Having the flexibility to swap out lenses and make adjustments to your settings to each of those situations and all that fall between those points, you are more likely to capture the image in camera that you see with your eyes.

Also, if the photo bug bites down hard with it's long teeth, having those lenses will not be a loss of money in the future. You can upgrade the body and still use what you have.

One final thought is to look at the used market as other photographers will be upgrading what they have now for the next big release. Might catch a really sweet deal.

Thanks that is the info i needed I was reading around the forum but wanted to hear first hand the answers I may need.

I am buying a camera of a friend he owns whole bunch of computers cameras and so on.. He buys of eBay and stuff like that for the right price.

I will tell him to send me top 2 Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax and I will post them here so you guys can tell me what would be the best deal and best way to go out of the bunch and if the price is right since we are friends I am sure he will give me a good deal.

I know he was telling me that he has 1 camera with a 800$ lens so I will look into that one and keep you guys posted.. I guess this is a 2 step process here ;)

I truly appreciate all the help!

Cheers

Ok this is what he offered me.

The good lens I was talking about
he thinks its Canon 30 - 80 lens not 100% he will let me know tomorrow

Cameras
SLRs

Rebel XT
Cannon D 20

Is think too old or they are ok for me to get I will get the price quote on them tomorrow..

Those bodies area couple of generations old, but still very capable. They may lack some more updated features, like better ISO contol, shutter speed, larger LCD and megapixels that newer cameras have, but you can live with it. Since they are a bit older, you can get them really cheap. Say about $600 for the 20D body. The XT is a consumer model that is more plastic and the 20D is a more pro-sumer model. A few more features, rugidness etc. I had one until I upgraded and the only thing I did not like about it was the shutter noise. Go to a store and try them out, they have about the same look and feel as the newer XTi and 30D/40D.
For what you intend to shoot, the lens is of more importance. Dunno of the quality you really want to capture, but in lens terms...you pay for what you get. Higher quality premium glass cost upwards of $600. But great deals can be had for much less. For a nice close-up portrait lens, try the EF 50mm f/1.8. It's $80 and a fairly decent lens image quality wise. For panoramas, you will be best served by a wide-angle lens and a steady tripod and head. The EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS comes to mind or the EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. See how these work and move on from there. You can get a decent Bogen-Manfrotto tripod and head for under $200.

If I were you I would stay away from an Ebay purchase unless you know exactly what you are getting into. You really need knowledge to not get ripped off. Also If you really want good advice on what camera to get The best place to start would be a budget. Of course whatever bget you do present would be a sarting budget because once you get started there will be a neverending stream of accessories that you will need/want.

OK here is the price and what I was offered..

New
Canon XT (body no lens)
&
Canon
75-300mm EF F-4,5.6
with 2yr warranty

For $500 Canadian Dollars

What you guys think?

Dunno. That lens is and older model and really does not suit your needs. It does not have a USM motor so the slow focus is gonna suck. For panoramas, it has too narrow a field of view unless you stitch a few shots together. With some shopping around, you may be able to get a better combo. The lens runs for about $150 USD, the body is about $515 USD from B&H with the EF-S 18-55 lens. Rather do that than eBay. No slam against eBay, I have bought a lot of stuff from them, but you really need to research and know your stuff before venturing there.

Hey this is not from the eBay this is from the store in town here the guy I am buying from know everyone so he gets discounts. That lens alone in the store was 300$ but he is getting it for $100..

Maybe is better for you guys to set up a nice SLR for me maybe even 2 lens instead of only 1. Something quick and that focuses good.

I will wait for your suggestions then I will go do a research from there to see if that combo will work for me and what price.

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back