Hello, I am just starting...

bogdan.m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, i am just starting with this hobby, and i would like to get some tips for better photography. I will post some photos i did and i will wait for you to criticize them, good and bad ideas are all welcome :)
link

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
It´s hard to give any tips when you are just starting out. One thing looking at the images you posted would be: from a series of images, only publish your very best pictures. That will quickly make you a better photographer in the eyes of the people that look at your portfolio. Having one or two sunset shots sure would be enough to begin with.
Two of the sunset shots are nice. Did you know that you get that star effect on the sun, by closing the aperture? That brings us to one of the key components of photography, the aperture. Learn the basics how aperture, shutter speed and focal length can change the look of your images. That way you will learn how to take sharp images whether your object is moving or not, how to blur the background in shots with people like your kids, etc. etc..
To chose one image to critic: autumn leaves:
  1. nice perspective - to create interesting images, it is always great to shoot from angles that are not so common, well done.
  2. try to get the horizon level whenever you can, OR get it extremely out of the level to not make it look as if it was done by accident (you probably looked at the (church?) tower to the left, but shooting up on a building results in distorted perspectives - always try to look at the horizon instead).
  3. When you have rather dominant objects like the church tower, that draw the viewers attention: try to not crop it off but rather have it completely in the frame. While this is not always possible, it is something to take care when framing an image. Walking back a few steps might have done wonders in this shot.
I hope this helps. Looking forward to more of your images ;)

...Walking back a few steps might have done wonders in this shot.
yeah, the street kinda ended there so not possible, but thank you very much for the tips, the thing with closed aperture for the star like effect i didn't knew, so will try it next time. And for the "holy trinity of the photography" iso aperture and shutter speed, i looked at those videos on youtube more than i would like to admit, so i know how they work, i just have to use them a lot so i get familiar with them. And yes, these are just the photos that i think are the best from my shooting session. Again, thank you for the tips, every little one counts.

...Walking back a few steps might have done wonders in this shot.
yeah, the street kinda ended there so not possible, but thank you very much for the tips, the thing with closed aperture for the star like effect i didn't knew, so will try it next time. And for the "holy trinity of the photography" iso aperture and shutter speed, i looked at those videos on youtube more than i would like to admit, so i know how they work, i just have to use them a lot so i get familiar with them. And yes, these are just the photos that i think are the best from my shooting session. Again, thank you for the tips, every little one counts.
That´s what I thought - unfortunately streets are not endless ;).
I would have skipped the first two imags and have decided to keep either the third or the fourth, but not both. They are just too similar to show them all. The best photographers shoot many similar and/or mediocre images, they just don´t show them to the public. So everybody who goes to their portfolio drops his jaw, looking at only a very few selected, great images. Same when showing your vacation shots to family and friends. Limiting them to the best few will make them praise you for your talent. Showing too much will make them fall asleep and bury the treasure images ;). It´s always best to stop while they still want to see more, rather being happy that it finally ended.

i see, ok i deleted those which are similar, and kept only the ones i like :)

i have managed to get another photo that i like, any critique, good or bad is welcomed :)
Link

Yes, I agree: fewer, better image makes you look, well, "better". The strong graphical elements of the power transmission lines towers makes a good image, so, look for other things that can form graphic,strong lines. Keep your eyes open, and your camera near by!

Hey, those transmission lines are really very well shot. You took ultimate care to have them symmetrical (I don´t think it was coincident as symmetric as they are), so you thought about your image before you took it. I like it.
The moon is slightly underexposed (I guess you can fix that in your raw processor), and a moon as spectacular as it looks photographyically isn´t that difficult, even though many people don´t know how to shoot it. Usually it is overexposed rather than underexposed.

:)) of course i took care of the symmetry of the lines, i climed on my car while the wind was blowing like a madman, and i have stopped before @ 3 times to see how my shot will be, but the lighting was too poor, it's bad weather this time of the year. The thing with the moon, yes i can correct it, i learned to shoot raw, and i must say it helps a lot since i discovered lightroom, but at the same time i want my photos as original as they can be, so i just level them up a bit and correct a few colour correction, and that is it.

:)) of course i took care of the symmetry of the lines, i climed on my car while the wind was blowing like a madman, and i have stopped before @ 3 times to see how my shot will be, but the lighting was too poor, it's bad weather this time of the year. The thing with the moon, yes i can correct it, i learned to shoot raw, and i must say it helps a lot since i discovered lightroom, but at the same time i want my photos as original as they can be, so i just level them up a bit and correct a few colour correction, and that is it.
Cool, lightroom is awesome. In regard to the moon, you could increase the exposure a bit and also the clarity. Don't worry, camera sensors are much inferior to our eyes/brain and therefore a little work in lightroom will only bring the image closer to what our eyes see.

I am happy to give you the raw file in exchange of the metadatafile so i can learn a few things :D

Hello, i am just starting with this hobby, and i would like to get some tips for better photography. I will post some photos i did and i will wait for you to criticize them, good and bad ideas are all welcome :)
link

I think at first your best bet is to focus on composition and exposure, and then build on that foundation from there.

5 Easy Composition Guidelines from Nikon

Most reactions

Back