Hello, I need some help:S

wowserstrousers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Gday hopefully helpful photography minded persons:) Here is my question and some pictures for c&c if you have time.

Im a student so dont have that much cash to throw around, what im looking for is specific setup thatll suit me just right. I got a Nikon Coolpix L10 last Chrissy, its a 5 mp point and shoot with limited just about everything but was suitable for me at the time.

Im an outdoorsy kind of guy and some of my walks etc take me to some pretty epic spots. Im looking at getting a dlsr body and lens that will cater for landscapes primarily (nearly exclusively). I was thinking that getting a cheapish body such as the Nikon D40x and getting a decent wide angle lens would suit me well (better than a ****ty lens and good body right?). However as a lens noob im not really sure and was thinking of maybe the sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Super Wide Angle Zoom? Budget about 1500 AU all up

Yes? No? Any other suggestions?

Here's a couple of shots Ive taken on my coolpix... (sorry if theyre a bit big, I dont have an image editor on my laptop)

cathedralrock.jpg

deadtree14.jpg

HDRtrial1.jpg

blackandpinkwithlight.jpg

snow3.jpg

benpeak2.jpg

waterfall.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
i have to say that the landscape shots look a lot like eastern Washington.

as far as the lens goes, you might be better off just looking on eBay for a cheap D40. now that Christmas is over, it might be easier to get one for less than you'd originally pay for just the body. I'm kind of a lens newb as well. but the D40 is a very solid camera. it's been on the market for over 4 years and is still in demand

Haha no, not quite eastern Washington. Try Tasmania, Australia:p, The D40 is going for about 500 AU in the post christmas sale, however im still convinced the crappy lens that come stock with it would be false economy.

Im an outdoorsy kind of guy and some of my walks etc take me to some pretty epic spots. Im looking at getting a dlsr body and lens that will cater for landscapes primarily (nearly exclusively). I was thinking that getting a cheapish body such as the Nikon D40x and getting a decent wide angle lens would suit me well (better than a ****ty lens and good body right?).
Yes, it's better to spend the money on better lenses. The lenses can transfer over to a newer, better body later.
However as a lens noob im not really sure and was thinking of maybe the sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Super Wide Angle Zoom? Budget about 1500 AU all up

Yes? No? Any other suggestions?
I don't do landscape photography so can't help you with specifics, but here are a couple of links that should be helpful...

The Luminous Landscape

A Guide To Great Landscape Photography

11 Surefire Landscape Photography Tips

Here's a couple of shots Ive taken on my coolpix... (sorry if theyre a bit big, I dont have an image editor on my laptop)
You've taken some really good pictures with just a P&S camera. Love to see what you can do with a DSLR and the right lens. Good job.

Most reactions

Back