Hello/Intro and some photos for C&C

SHWELL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I am Jerry aka SHWELL all over the net.. I am a Ret Military Air Traffic Controller. I have been looking for something to occupy my time since I have MEdical conditions that prevent me from working. At 32 I feel locked in the house and have been looking for something to get me out of the house that will not cause my body any extra stress...

About a year ago my uncle gave me an Olympus C-8080 Digital Cam.... It has been the most complicated camera I have ever owned. B4 that I had and used a Nikon N70 35mm cam. I have been wanting to get more into this hobby, and found this site on google. Looks like fun, and you have all provided great info from the threads I have read so far. I am gonna attach some photos I have taken over the past year... I am new to this, and have just begun to take it seriously. I have a D60 scheduled for delivery on Monday, so I will have my first DSLR.... I have used a D80 a few times and love the pics that it is capable of taking, but as a complete noob, I couldn't justify the expense of the D80 over the D60.... On to the pics....

All were taken with my Olympus C-8080 with varying settings, none of which I was sure about, but expirimenting is how I usually figure things out.... Thanx for any input...

discohdr.jpg

P1019153_edited.jpg

hdrhOT.jpg

I know they are all auto photos, it is one of my hobbies as well...

Last edited:
Here are a few shots of my 9 wk old Rotti pup Rocsi...... She is my new test subject......

RocsiWk10023.jpg

RocsiWk10057.jpg

RocsiWk10079.jpg

RocsiWk9087.jpg

RocsiWk9094.jpg

Thanx for the Welcome. and yes she is..

Welcome to TPF! Glad to know that you're (seemingly) hooked on this hobby that we all love! I learned most of what I know about photography right from this site - all you really need to do is read. Somehow all the information plants itself in your brain without you even realizing it!

One thing I noticed about all your photos of your dog are that they are slightly out of focus. I imagine that it's because she moves quite fast - your static pictures of the car are very nice and clear. I'm not sure whether you can change shutter speeds on that camera, but if you can, selecting a faster one might do the trick. Or maybe using the 'sport' setting...

Thanx for the info.. The camera (C-8080) def has alot of adjustments, I have just been unable to figure them out until recently.. I discovered this site just days ago after ordering my D60, and have learned alot so far... There were settings I just had no clue about, an after alot of reading today, and watching a couple of vids listed in this section, I have begun to get a better idea of what I need to do for different lighting and scenes. etc....

The car pics are from various times earlier this year. I see to have better luck when photograghing stationary objects such as cars and Motorcycles, they seem pretty ez once you get the lighting right and set the camera correctly... But I do want to start focusing on taking pics of my family, my car shots out number my family pics 20:1, and the wife seems to think ill of this.....

I am gonna read through this site until I reach the end of the internet.... This is very exciting to me.

Again, thanx for the warm welcome and the input.

Here are a few D60 shots from today.. I was in a rush, so I shot them all on Auto... I will def spend more time 2morrow getting to know the cam and its functions better...

TESTSHOTSC8080ANDD60013.jpg

Studioshots015.jpg

TESTSHOTSC8080ANDD60140.jpg

One thing that I've noticed is that all your subjects are very centered in your frame. Have you ever heard of the rule of thirds? Generally it makes your photos more aesthetic. You've also got some pretty bad shadow action going on in 2 and 3, and 3 is out of focus.

I prob shouldn't have posted the last few... They were with the camera right out the box. I did not put any effort into them..... Just couldn't have the new cam and not give it a try.... The Rule of 3rds is the first photog rule I ever read. And I know it makes a huge difference.... I won't post anymore pics until I really dive into the D60's functions... Thanx for the input.

Most reactions

Back