Hello, new guy here!

tripwater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just came across this forum and I am a newbie. I will be taking full advantage of your knowledge, critiques, ideas and experiences with open arms.

For the past 2 months I have been reading book after book on exposure, composition, macro photography, hdr, lighting, researching online etc. Learning as much as I can.

I do not have a camera of my own yet. I have been using my roommate's Canon EOS 20D to test things out as I go. I have been struggling with what camera to get as I imagine so did everyone else here in the beginning. It has come down to the Canon EOS 50D or the Nikon D300s. After all my research, I have come to realize that most reviews and people's opinions are just that. A more of 'Tastes great, less filling' kind of thing. I pretty much have come to the conclusion that I can't go wrong with either. So I am now leaning more towards the Canon for 2 main reasons: 1.) My roommate and best friend of 20 yrs has a Canon and a handful of lenses, and other equipment so I can share and he can also use my stuff. 2.) With the cost difference of about $700 between the two camera bodies I figure it will allow me more money to put into the glass. Which over the past 2 months I have learned is really the most important part. I just ordered my tripod and head here is what I got

Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod - Black in Camera Tripods at JR.com

and
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bogen-3026%2fManfrotto-488RC2-Midi-Ball-Head-488-NEW!_W0QQitemZ300339704834QQcmdZViewItem

My main passion it seems so far in the beginning stages of this new adventure for me is Close up / macro photography. I am drawn to it. Which is why, after much research I chose that tripod and head. I like the idea of being able to mount the camera horizontally by pulling out the stem and putting in the side. I am looking to get my camera and start accumulating lenses as I am able within the next week.

Well, I will leave this post at that. I just wanted to stop in, introduce myself and give a little background of where I am at and where I am headed so when I start posting, you guys can follow my growth.

Thank you for the time and this cool place to learn about photography.

Tim

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Tim, welcome to TPF! I just joined myself and have recently acquired a Canon 50D. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but I'm expecting good results. I'd like to explore macro photography sometime too, but right now, I'm just focusing on learning to take good pictures with correct exposures. Look forward to seeing your pictures! =)

Thanks Pcubed!. Just posted some pics I took. :)

Thanks for the welcome! Now I see that I should have posted this in the 'Welcomes and Introductions' section DOH!

Oh and Chammer, I really like your shots on your website sixtysixdegrees...good stuff!

may I~ ask why the 50D and not the 20D?
doesn't the 20D fit your needs?
or is it just "the 50D is newer"

I personally think the 20D is better than the 50D
thats my opinion though... and its a hella lot cheaper!

Thanks for the welcome! Now I see that I should have posted this in the 'Welcomes and Introductions' section DOH!

Oh and Chammer, I really like your shots on your website sixtysixdegrees...good stuff!

Thanks for that link, tripwater. I was trying to find it last time but failed. It's never too late to make an introduction. I think I'll head over there now and do just that.

may I~ ask why the 50D and not the 20D?
doesn't the 20D fit your needs?
or is it just "the 50D is newer"

I personally think the 20D is better than the 50D
thats my opinion though... and its a hella lot cheaper!

I have been doing research for a couple of months and made my decision based on what I think will suite me better in the long run. I don't want to upgrade my camera in the next year due to limitations. My roommate has the 20D and wants to upgrade to the 40 or 50D simply because he has outgrown this camera and needs more from it for what he does. The 50d is a much better camera from every thing I have read ( reviews, posts, specs, side by side comparisons with same lenses at various ISO settings).

I like the 3 inch high res LCD screen for macro because I wear glasses and it makes life easier.
I like the 15.1 mega pixels vs 20D's 8.2mp
50D's Cleaning Sensor Unit (Auto & Manual)
I like the 50D's fast 6.3 fps Continuous Shooting
The sensor is supposed to be better, ISO 3200 - Expandable to 12800...goes on and on

I am a musician and know that I would rather spend $3000 on a Taylor guitar that lasts my lifetime and makes me happy rather than have 4 'ok' guitars sitting in the corner. I love the way the guitar feels, the sound, the warmth...not because it is the latest greatest, but because it is what I want and fits my needs as an artist ;)

Just my 2 cents

And FYI I am mainly here for technique and the art of photography not the 'gear head' side of it. I honestly am worn out by the countless back and forth - which is better 'ford vs chevy' or 20D vs 50D vs D300 threads I have encountered in my research. I had to finally step back and pick a camera that I wanted. :mrgreen:

Time to just take pictures!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back