Hello, newbie...again!

d1a1s1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am yet again a "newbie" on yet another forum. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
I am rather new to photography, aside from tons of point and shoot experience. Ive always been interested in photography, especially digital photography. Lately Ive been surfing "flickr.com" quite a bit and I just cant take it anymore...I want to learn how to take these amazing photos.
My first question is in regards to equipment. I have the budget to purchase a very nice DSLR but Im worried Ill out spend my ability. What would be a good DSLR camera for a beginner? Id like to keep it around $1k.
My second question is software. I like the pictures where color has been enhanced or pictures that have B&W as well as color in them. This is all accomplished with photo editing software right? Do I need Photoshop?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the site!

with 1k I'd probably pick up a Canon digital rebel XT/350D and a lens/lenses. It's a nice cheap 8mp body with nice features and the ability to change most of your settings with few button presses which saves you time in the field. Important things like ISO, WB, Metering area are all accessable through the arrow pad.

As for lenses, I'd pick up a 50mm f/1.8 MKII because it is the best value in glass you can get and is a very sharp lens usable in low light settings.

Any other lenses will be up to what you shoot since that will determine the focal length you use.

Canon XT with kit lens
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...191&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

50mm 1.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...142&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

That still comes in well under 1000, giving you room for a flash, another lens, whatever.

As for software, you will need some sort of editing software, but I cant bring myself to paying 600 dollars for photoshop. Instead I use GIMP (very much like PS) for free.

welcome :)

second hand would be an idea. not sure where the 20D stands price-wise at the moment.

Nikon's D50 could be rather cheap these days second hand? not sure.

Thanks for the prompt advice. that canon looks like a good deal really.
So, for example, the picture on this sites main page (the "wind" picture)...would you say software editing played a significant part?

Thanks for the prompt advice. that canon looks like a good deal really.
So, for example, the picture on this sites main page (the "wind" picture)...would you say software editing played a significant part?

I'd say that picture used a little photoediting (probably nothing GIMP couldn't do) as well as a graduated neutral density filter to make the sky a little darker so it would retain detail. You'd have to PM the photographer though to know for sure.

My advice would be Canons Rebel XT with EF lenses, a good place to buy these are Wolf Cameras or BhVideo...

Most reactions

Back