Hello, noob with pics here, please critique.

gdruss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've been reading the forum for a while now, been playing with cameras for a few years not really knowing what I've been doing. For my birthday last year, my wife gave me a Sony a100. I have a couple of minolta lenses. I started getting more interested in making better and more creative shots. Here are a few. If you could critique them and let me know how I can get better at photography, that would be great. Thanks for your help.....GD

DSC00616.JPG

ISO 160, Exp 1/125, AP f5.6, Focal length 60mm

Last edited:
It's always best to post a shot or so in your post. You'll get more responses if you post them right in your message. Also going to your site, there's quite a few images, and again, less is better. I've noticed that people just don't care to look through a bunch of images. It's also better to get multiple critiques on one or two images and with greater feedback you'll learn more.

Ok, thanks. How do I post the pics here? With photbucket or direct upload?

im just a newbie but from what ive learned so far i think your photo is underexposed and the subject is a little too centered and overall not terribly eye catching..it seems a lil busy and my eye keeps going to read the ceasar's palace building. las vegas is a really cool place but this doesn't seem to showcase its coolness very well...did you take any other pics? it looks like you took it around sunset which can provide some really good lighting! next time try to find that lighting and i think that would definitely help! im still new so its still a learning process for me too!

Hi. Yes I took more pictures.(Just trying to get them uploaded to photobucket) I was trying to go underexposed in this one. I was trying to get the Angels to look like shadows. I didn't even think about the Ceasars sign in the background :blushing:. Thanks.

DSC00614.jpg

ISO 125, Exp 1/80, Ap f5.6, Focal 35mm, flash used
DSC00747.jpg

ISO 200, Exp 1/15, AP f36.0, Focal 50 mm, no flash

Last edited:
Its also nice to know what type of camera you use and the settings of your shot ive just leasrned this....

ok, I'll do that..thanks
Info put in.

Last edited:
I started getting more interested in making better and more creative shots. Here are a few. If you could critique them and let me know how I can get better at photography, that would be great.
You've taken the first step...you want to improve and shoot better. Your pictures aren't that bad...they're not quite snap shots but not exactly good photos. I like how you tried a very different angle when shooting the Eiffel Tower and how you tried a slower shutter speed to make the water in the fountain look like it's moving...but there's too many elements in that picture and some are distracting.

Becoming a good photographer who takes great photos takes time and practice and a lot of imagination and creativity...and taking lots and lots of pictures and studying them. Take a good look at the pictures you've taken so far and select the ones that you really like. Compare these to the ones you don't like and see if you can figure out why. Learn from your previous pictures and then go out and try to use what you learned.

Don't be afraid to try different perspectives when shooting...get closer, shoot from a sitting position, go up on a ladder or wall...experiment and see what you get. The most boring shots are the ones where you're just standing straight up and you place your subject dead center in the viewfinder.

Of course you'll want to learn the basics of photography...exposure, understanding light, composition, understanding lens choice...don't ignore those.

Thanks. Someone in another thread suggested "Understanding Exposure" to read. Think I'll get it. I'm just tired of the same boring pictures I used to take: subject centered or camera on auto. Thanks for the tips. I'm going to Niagara Falls on Wednesday. Can't wait to try the tips.....GD:thumbup:

Thanks!!! These look like great sites. Going to read them now....GD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back