Hello there!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dykstra, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Dykstra

Dykstra TPF Noob!

I wasn't sure where to post my introduction, but anyway, my name is John and I'm an 18-year-old amateur photographer. I haven't shot for long, but I've already fell in love with the hobby and am looking for a community to share my love with. ;) A community where I can give and receive critique, as well as share my personal opinions and philosophies on photography.

For example, just recently I've finally started looking at scenes that I want to photograph less in terms of the objects, and more in terms of the light on the objects. I realized that as a photographic artist, my medium is light. I manipulate light, I paint with light, I understand light. Most importantly, I understand that all it takes to make an outstanding photograph is the magical light which defines everything it rests upon. Light is how I see, and light is how I feel; it's alive, it's always changing, and it is ultimately what makes the subject as beautiful as it is. When I set out to photograph an inspiring landscape, it is my foremost intention to capture a lightscape. Light is passion, light is emotion, and light is information. With an earnest understanding and passion for light itself, you can make a field more impressive than a mountain. And this is my goal; to portray the beauty of our earth through the power of life-bringing light. This change in perspective has radically altered the way I go about taking a photograph.

OH, and I'm also in a high-school photography scholarship competition, and I'd like to ask you to view my submission and consider voting for me! If you don't believe I deserve it, then don't vote. Here's the link: Sigma - Scholarship contest :blushing:

The prize totals out to $6000, all of which I would be dumping on gear I need to get the photos I'm dying to capture. I'd LOVE to make a career out of this, and this competition is a major jump in that direction.

Anyway, just thought I'd meander in here and introduce myself before I start moping around the forum. See you around town!

2. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Do you have more images online to share?

3. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would have hung around here longer first, then posted asking for a favor before advertising my need for votes.

I think half the people here are likely to vote against you..

Not trying to be an ass but I've seen it happen before.

I like your pictures though.

4. Dykstra

Dykstra TPF Noob!

I do! Flickr: John.Dykstra's Photostream

Well, that's unfortunate on their part if they feel the need to go out of the way to vote against someone, but it's all good. That probably would've been a smart idea.

Anyway, thanks!

5. reznap

Photos OK to edit
    I think I've seen your pictures on computer wallpaper sites.. have you had them featured on any?

They're good enough though, really..

6. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    Rez, I actually gave him points for being the first to say "If you don't believe I deserve it, then don't vote."

Nice images, John. I like "Out From Obscurity" in particular.

7. reznap

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't even read that part... my fault. I didn't want to come off in a bad way, also I had skimmed a bit... yada yada yada, vote

8. Dykstra

Dykstra TPF Noob!

Thanks a lot. No, I haven't had my stuff featured on any wallpaper sites. I have been offering people high-res photos for use as wallpaper though to entice them into voting a while back, so that may be the case. A lot of the kids I'm up against have a lot of connection over the Internet, and I'm just having a hard time raising my numbers to match them.

Thanks a lot, Jeweler.

9. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    Call me Bitter. :p:lmao:

10. ghpham

ghpham TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Love your photo's John. Very well done. I voted. Good luck!

11. Dykstra

Dykstra TPF Noob!

Will do!

12. vtf

vtf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Bitter:thumbup:

John, are all 5 on that page yours?