hello to all :-)

blondee_rn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello just found this site today. wanted to say hello.

I am a newbie!! working on a home studio for portraits. I have the studio lighting, a canon, and a few lenses. but not sure which type of lens is the best for portraits? any tips would be wonderful :)

thanks a bunch:sexywink:

Welcome to the sight. I can't give you an advice yet because I'm fairly new myself, but there are several people on here that can definitely help you.

hello just found this site today. wanted to say hello.

I am a newbie!! working on a home studio for portraits. I have the studio lighting, a canon, and a few lenses. but not sure which type of lens is the best for portraits? any tips would be wonderful :)

thanks a bunch:sexywink:
In 35mm speak or full frame digital, between 70 to 135mm is considered the most flattering for portraits. Of course, wider angle lenses would be needed for groups as long as you're not too close.

Oh, yeah! Welcome to the board!

In 35mm speak or full frame digital, between 70 to 135mm is considered the most flattering for portraits. Of course, wider angle lenses would be needed for groups as long as you're not too close.

The reasoning for this is i believe the distortion caused by wider angled lenses

The reasoning for this is i believe the distortion caused by wider angled lenses

That is part of it. The other part is that wide-angle lenses create the sensation of expanding the size difference between things that are close to the lens and those that are far away.

Telephoto lenses do the exact opposite. They tend to "compress" the relative size difference between things that are close and those that are far away.

The problem with using a wide-angle lens is that it makes people's noses and things that are close to the camera appear much larger than things like their ears, which are further away.

Here's a good blog post explaining (via pictures) what I'm talking about: Spatial Relationships and Distortion | Beyond Megapixels

Which lenses do you currently have?

Most reactions

Back