Hello...Um yeah im the new guy!

NikonNyc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone just been browsing for a while but finally decided to say hello also show some images i have taken in the past 24hrs with my new D40...Please feel free to comment also any suggestions are definitely would be appreciated...
DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

-mike
Nikon D40

Last edited:
nice photos! congratz with ur new dslr! me, im still saving up for one.. huhuhu when ohh when can i have my own one..

Welcome aboard.

Thanks everyone, hope to learn alot happy you like some of the pics i hope to improve. Could some one give me some guidance on low light shots
is it a norm to use Hi-ISO Slow Shutters speeds??? pms and post appriciated.

Each low light situation is going to involve lots of variables. Film sensitivity i.e. ISO is ONE of the aspects you have to consider.

Photography is all about light. When we have a very little light our "job" gets harder. Every possible solution brings possible defects and downsides.

1. You can increase ISO. This is the amount of "sensitivity" that the film has to light. In the world of digital it is roughly approximated although the means that the end is achieved is different. The down side is with greater sensitivity is increased "noise". You can see the grain acctually being created if you are working with film. In Digital its the same effect but not for the same reasons.

2. You can slow down your shutter speed. Since the shutter controls the amount of time the light sensitive medium is exposed, film or CMOS, when the shutter is open longer there is more light beamed in. Down side is obvious. If anything in the scene you are exposing changes, both states and all the transitive states of light will be exposed and recorded. That translates into blur for movement and haloing for most frequency's of light. So, your hand shake will make blured edges and that hockey game by candle light will look like a Salvador Dali nightmare.

3. Wider apeture. The lens you use will have a finite maximum capability of allowing light into your camera. You can control the light from the maximum down to the minimum the lens can stop down. This mesurement is the "F" number. The limitation here is most lense wont "open up" as much as you want. And "zoom" lenses tend to have less capability. As you open the lens the less DOF you have.

This is simplified. There are whiz bang scientific types on here who can greatly elucidate. Hope this helps.

Your MPG may vary.

Feel free to correct me guys.

JT

TyJax I really appreciate the info I knew a majority of it, its good to know I have a fairly good understanding how to go about it any other suggestions you guys can recommend for other shot situations that you've had I would appreciate.
DSC_0088.jpg

Low light situation, with a over head display halogen. LMK what i can do to correct it or if it is along the right lines...

f4.5
sp25
Iso 400
WB halogen preset(nikond40)

Last edited:
TyJax I really appreciate the info I knew a majority of it, its good to know I have a fairly good understanding how to go about it any other suggestions you guys can recommend for other shot situations that you've had I would appreciate.
DSC_0088.jpg

Low light situation, with a over head display halogen. LMK what i can do to correct it or if it is along the right lines...

f4.5
sp25
Iso 400
WB halogen preset(nikond40)

Geepers! Those things always scare the hell out of me. Suffice it to say from your exif data a wider apeture would have helped if it was available. if you have the raw you can now try to pull up highlights by "pushing" the exposure. With the D40 I think you could have gone a little higher ISO with out too much grain. A speedlight might have helped fill in depending on the distance you were from the evil beasts from before the last ice age.

Thank you TyJax I honestly insist on improving with a little criticism and guidance which both are appreciated, I think i will be able to achieve most of the shots I'm looking for which is a shot which utilizes the ambient light as close to its natural form as possible.

-All are welcome to comment with suggestion from setting to angle shots all is very appreciated.

-mike

Wow, I think you may have taken that first batch of photos in my backyard! (not the dragons)

I've taken a similar set recently to test a new Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 Lens.

If I see my mailbox in your next set of photos, gonna be really creeped out! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back