Hello

Heather

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I have lurked for a week or two and figured I might as well take the introduction plunge. My passion is portraiture, especially children's, but I also enjoy landscape, macro (still need a lens, though) and abstract. On the business side, I have mostly been doing weddings and some family portraiture, as I have not yet taken the studio-renting-plunge.
Heather

Hi Heather, Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a business here in Edmonton?

Do you need any help shooting weddings? I'm looking to get some experience.

Thanks for the welcome!!

Big Mike, I am slowly getting started too. What do you shoot? Are you planning on pursuing photography as a business?

Heather,

I shoot film for now, I'm planning on getting a DSLR in 2005. I use Canon now so I'm thinking about a 20D. I still plan to keep the film camera while it holds out.

I have been shooting family weddings for a few years. Not as the pro, hired to shoot the formals, but just shooting everything else. I was asked to do the formals recently but I convinced them to hire a pro since I don't have the equipment (back up) or the experience just yet.

I haven't done a lot of portrait stuff but I would like to. My sister had her first baby this Saturday so I'll be getting lots of photos of my adorable niece.

I am thinking about what it would take to start a business. Ideally something I could do on evenings & weekends. Photography full time might be nice but I don't want to ever get tired of it. I love it as a hobby and I don't want to loose that.

I don't have any photography education but I was thinking of taking some evening courses. Probably won't teach me as much as good old experience but it would be nice to have some credentials to show perspective clients.

Sorry for rambling on so much. What about you? How do you get your photography jobs?

I haven't really started advertising yet, but it's amazing how fast word-of-mouth can travel. I am a Canon girl. I shoot with a 10D (bought it right before they announced the 20D!) and I love it so far. If you are interested in taking courses, the evening classes at Metro College are pretty good (and cheap). If anything, they're good because they force you to practice. Congratulations on the birth of your niece, by the way!

Thanks, I was looking at both the NAIT & MC courses but I was leaning toward the MC, especially because they are cheap :)

Did you get a chance to check out the photo fair/swap meet at the Ramada on Sunday? It comes along once a year and I was pretty choked that I couldn't make it.

Welcom, Heather! Enjoy.

Thanks for all the welcomes! Such a friendly group! Mike, I went to the photo swap/fair last year and it was pretty pathetic. Paid to get in, and there was nothing there.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back