Hello

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Attila, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Attila

Attila TPF Noob!

Hello everyone. I would just like to introduce myself. I just got a camera a couple months ago and I'm starting to get into photography. I searched for forums about photography and this was the first one that came up :). Does anyone have any tips for someone just starting out?

Thank you, Attila

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Number 1 tip. Never leave home without a camera. Observe and study as you go through your day... Think about composition. It helps me get through my stressful and busy work week too.

Number 2 tip. Go out and shoot.

The rest, exposure etc.. will come naturally as you discover and experiment. A good book to describe the basics is a wonderful start.

3. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

Hello ! Attila.

Rule 1. There are no rules..

Rule 2. err ... ... errrr......

Rule 3. Enjoy yourself..

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Rules? bah, i'm a renegade, i break the rules! :twisted:

no, but really just go to your local book store/Library, Buy/check out big and thick photography books with lots of descriptions and nice big pictures, and subscribe to some magazines (good magazines, not the DSLR shopper ones).

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    welcome to the forum :)

my advice, learn the basics (wikipedia, good books, whatever) .. AND play around try things out .. ALOT :)

6. Attila

Attila TPF Noob!

Thanks for the advice :)

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I know the first advice that is given is to pickup the book (or lookup on the internet) for the basics. But I have tell yah... from personal experience.. that would have really taken away from my early enjoyment of photography.

I started out pretty young (10 or 11 I think) just snapping photos of my family's vacation trips until my mother noticed one of my landscapish photos in the stack. She said "wow.. looks like a post card". She didn't know it at the time but that one statement launched my life long interest in photography. From that time on, I learned quickly about what was appealing to my eyes and how composition worked (or didn't work). I got so much enjoyment out of just experimenting and shooting.... learning hands-on.

As time went on, I would enhance my understanding of my photographic experiments with references to books and such. I treated them as references to get a better understanding of my experimentation. Till this day, I have NEVER actually finished a book on photography.. I simply referred to them whenever necessary. Even my photography classes really never studied the text like you would in history/math/etc...

The other day, I picked up a photography book and started to actually skim through it... IT WAS BORING!!! Glad I didn't go that route.

so whenever a person asks me how to get started.. my answer is always the same....

1) Carry a camera at all times.
    2) Study and Observe... shoot often.