Hello

Attila

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would just like to introduce myself. I just got a camera a couple months ago and I'm starting to get into photography. I searched for forums about photography and this was the first one that came up :). Does anyone have any tips for someone just starting out?

Thank you, Attila

Number 1 tip. Never leave home without a camera. Observe and study as you go through your day... Think about composition. It helps me get through my stressful and busy work week too.

Number 2 tip. Go out and shoot.

The rest, exposure etc.. will come naturally as you discover and experiment. A good book to describe the basics is a wonderful start.

Rules? bah, i'm a renegade, i break the rules! :twisted:

no, but really just go to your local book store/Library, Buy/check out big and thick photography books with lots of descriptions and nice big pictures, and subscribe to some magazines (good magazines, not the DSLR shopper ones).

welcome to the forum :)

my advice, learn the basics (wikipedia, good books, whatever) .. AND play around try things out .. ALOT :)

I know the first advice that is given is to pickup the book (or lookup on the internet) for the basics. But I have tell yah... from personal experience.. that would have really taken away from my early enjoyment of photography.

I started out pretty young (10 or 11 I think) just snapping photos of my family's vacation trips until my mother noticed one of my landscapish photos in the stack. She said "wow.. looks like a post card". She didn't know it at the time but that one statement launched my life long interest in photography. From that time on, I learned quickly about what was appealing to my eyes and how composition worked (or didn't work). I got so much enjoyment out of just experimenting and shooting.... learning hands-on.

As time went on, I would enhance my understanding of my photographic experiments with references to books and such. I treated them as references to get a better understanding of my experimentation. Till this day, I have NEVER actually finished a book on photography.. I simply referred to them whenever necessary. Even my photography classes really never studied the text like you would in history/math/etc...

The other day, I picked up a photography book and started to actually skim through it... IT WAS BORING!!! Glad I didn't go that route.

so whenever a person asks me how to get started.. my answer is always the same....

1) Carry a camera at all times.
2) Study and Observe... shoot often.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back