Hell's Canyon

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by abraxas, Mar 10, 2008.

1. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This remote, near-barren, and desolate canyon was described in the 1860s as, "If the fires of Hell were to blow out, this would be the landscape remaining."

[​IMG]

2. Yahoozy

Yahoozy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that quote (and more impressively) that picture is freakin sweet =D

3. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. There's an awesome story that goes with it, but I have to go back and reshoot during a sunrise to illustrate it correctly.

4. Roger

Roger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    very nice shot, you've been doing some lovely colour work lately, I'm really enjoying the results.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Reminds me of a quote about an Alberta city, Medicine Hat...
    This photo kind of looks like parts of Southern Alberta as well.

6. Double H

Double H TPF Noob!

Around the corner from the Turkey Hill, PA
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sweet shot. I was just in Sedona, and now I have a deep desire to shoot more stuff like yours.

7. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Roger, I'm happy to hear that. I've quite a problem with color-vision, but have learned not to mess with white balance, hue or color levels. So that means a lot to me.

I like hearing/reading stories like that. I find them inspiring. The geology is 'fun' for me too. This particular canyon, which the lighter material has washed away from the mountains in the distance was once underneath those mountains. I hope I can describe this correctly;

The plain broke apart from faulting. The two sides of the fault lifted and separated, forming two ranges. Those ranges continued rolling apart until what was once the top of the ridges fell underneath. So what those far mountains are, is the bottom of the ancient plain, then eroded into what is in the foreground. The Colorado River is about a quarter mile to the right of the shot, so some of this material may have washed down from upstream during natural dam/basin building and floods over the gazillions of years. I believe the plains may have been originally created by volcanic forces and ash. (That's what I got from a Colorado River geology class I suffered through last year).

Isn't the Southern Alberta area volcanic ash?

Thank you!

I was in Sedona about a year and a half ago. I took a bunch of really crappy photos- And three good ones. :) I'm hoping to go back in a year or two. I need to go to Prescott to do some reseach and photos regarding Fort Whipple and the road between there and Hardyville (Laughlin, NV.). I'm hoping to figure out a way to sneak in slipping over the mountains and getting some decent shots. That and I like the breakfast at the Sedona airport.

8. MissMia

MissMia TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Amazing shot as always!

It's the best place to eat breakfast in Sedona! I always stay at the Sky Ranch Lodge right next to the airport. It has such a lovely view of the mountains.

9. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you.

Sedona is a 'gottagoback' place for sure. I have a client that is building a house there. I've already let her know that if she's ready to open up shop, I'll go too.

Weird about airport restaurants. I found out about them years ago working at a tiny airport in So. Cal. Seems that's the thing is to fly somewhere for Sunday breakfast- Why fly somewhere for lousy food? Although I like flying (not a pilot), I'm infantry at heart. Knowing about airport restaurants has served me well. Sedona airport is exceptional.

I stayed at the Kokopelli lodge last time. We were there 4 nights. I liked the location as everything seemed equal distance away. Meals were a bit tricky if I remember correctly. Is the Sky Ranch Lodge pricy?

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know for sure...but I don't think so. I think it might be the bottom of an ancient sea. There are several areas of 'Bad Lands' in southern Alberta...basically valleys of once mighty rivers. You can see the layers very clearly on the valley walls...even the matching lines on either side.
    This is also one of the best hot spots for dinosaur bones and the home of the Royal Tyrell Museum.

Here are a few old shots from around that area (Red Deer River near Trochu) (sorry to hi-jack your thread)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple from 'Horseshoe Canyon'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MissMia

MissMia TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    SRL I don't think so and their rates never change. The rooms are average, but the view is unbeatable. We stayed in one of their cottages on the rim during part of our honeymoon. I really need to go back with the new camera. Sedona is only 90 mins from my house.

12. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Flo's at Chino Airport?

Gary