Help Buying a GPS

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a GPS and don't know other forums online where I could get this answered.

If someone doesn't know another forum where I could join there and ask, may I ask here.

I need one for my trip around the US next year for a month.

~Michael~

I have a Garmin Nuvi 260W and it I love it! It hasn't failed me yet! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Nuvi 350 owner (and lover) here. I have heard good things about the Tom tom but some mumblings about the maps not being updated often enough. Otherwise people seem to like them. I have never met a Nuvi owner who had a complaint.

I love my Garmin Nuvi.

Ian

There is probably one decision to make to categorize what kind of GPS you want: Do you want/need navigation or not?

If you want to be able to punch in an address, a location, a city/ town, etc. and have the device tell you which way to go, where to turn and how long until you arrive, that will help to narrow down the type of GPS you look at. These are the touchscreen, dashmounted ones that have become very popular in the last couple years. Have a look at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=2372&name=GPS-Navigationhttp://www.tigerdirect.com

If you only want to know where you are, how far you from your last waypoint, or how to get back to the car from where you are hiking, or how fast you are travelling, etc. then a handheld Garmin from Walmart is a cheap reliable pick and is what I use.

Wow! Awesome. Just what I was looking for. I'll browse around that forum for a while and see what I can find out.

I am probably going with a Garmin, it's just finding out which one.

Warren_G said:
There is probably one decision to make to categorize what kind of GPS you want: Do you want/need navigation or not?

If you want to be able to punch in an address, a location, a city/ town, etc. and have the device tell you which way to go, where to turn and how long until you arrive, that will help to narrow down the type of GPS you look at. These are the touchscreen, dashmounted ones that have become very popular in the last couple years. Have a look at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...GPS-Navigation

If you only want to know where you are, how far you from your last waypoint, or how to get back to the car from where you are hiking, or how fast you are travelling, etc. then a handheld Garmin from Walmart is a cheap reliable pick and is what I use.

I want it more or less to have just in case on my trip. I probably won't use it heavily until next summer when I go on my trip, but I'm looking to get a good deal for Christmas, that's why I'm buying now.

I have basically narrowed it down to this, of what I want to have in the GPS

-Text to speech
-Speech to text (aka voice recognition)
at least 4.3" Touchscreen
-Can act as navigation on the road and able to zoom in enough to use for hiking to waterfalls or anything else on my trip
-Good amount of categories (gas, attractions, etc)
-Alot of points of interest
-Easy rerouting (Some have problems with going a different direction that it tells you to go and finding an accurate to re route you to get back on track)
-Waypoints
-Traffic Warning (most come with a couple months of subscription. I'd re do that before I went on the trip so I could use it going through major citys so I wouldn't waste time

Thank you for all of your help

~Michael~

my brother got a garmin for a 100$ that came with bluetooth

Went to Best Buy....yeah yeah, I know they don't know much, but they had the most selection so I could at least play around with some.

I saw the TomTom. Geez, I forgot what model it was exactly. I've heard alot of mixed feelings about the TomTom's. They freeze up. Then I hear they're great and nobody has problems. Then I hear they're overated for what they cost and a Garmin would be better.

It's hard to try them out without actually putting one in my car and driving around for a couple of days.

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back