Help! buying first slr...

D-mullins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, I’m looking to buy my first SLR camera. I’m going to buy a digital, but I’m between cameras right now and I was hoping I could get some insight from some of you. Right now I’m looking at three cameras: Nikon D40, Nikon D80, and Pentax K10D. Right now the Pentax looks like a good deal, as I am probably going to be using it in dusty conditions (photographing off-road motor sports and nature in general), however, I am not sure as to the quality of the Pentax. also, all the cameras are coming with an 18mm-55mm lens, however, on the D40 I have the option of getting another lens as well (55mm-200mm), thus bringing the price in closer to the other cameras. I just need to know how some of you feel about the quality of all/any aspects of these cameras (also, if you think another camera close to the same price range would be better, then please let me know what it is and why). Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum.

The Pentax is, from all that I've heard, a pretty good camera. As are the two from Nikon. Nikon (and Canon) probably have an edge in image quality...but it's not a significant difference in real world shooting. The Pentax does have built in anti-shake technology....which works with every lens. Nikon's VR technology is lens based...so you have to buy it which each lens (if it's avaliable).

It should be noted that the D40 doens't have a built in AF motor like the D80 has...so there will be some compatibility issues with Autofocus and some of the Nikon lenses.

Canon is probably the leader in DSLR cameras, although Nikon is neck & neck with them. I would certainly suggest that you consider a Canon like the Rebel XTi or the fantastic new 40D.

With any of the cameras in question...the lens will also be a big factor in how well it performs. Each has an 18-55 (kit) lens...but those lenses are made to be cheap...not necessarily good. You would be much better off getting an upgraded lens...especially if your goal is to shoot sports/racing.

As always, the fit and feel of the camera is a very personally thing. Go into a store and hold all the different models to see which feel best to you.

out of those 3, I'd say the D80 would be the best bet. Much more rugged..and you can use all new Nikon lenses on it.

However, I wonder why not consider a Canon? a 40D or whatever could be nice...

Out of your Suggestions Definitively go with the D80 because the D40 is really no more than a glorified PnS with all the stuff they stripped from it..

I personally would say go the canon route, Rebel XTi or the wonderful new 40D =]

Mmm.....its sounds like maybe I should look into the canon 40D. To be honest, I don't really know why I haven't looked at the canons; no real reason other than the camera store I went to the other day had mainly Nikons. The main reason for including the Pentax is because of how well it shields on dust and moister, and the built in shake reduction. the Nikon D40 was really just a passing thought due to money, however, I’ll be financing it either way so just a couple of hundred dollars more is fine. I will definitely look at the 40D though. Thank you all for your input :)

If you're not against Canon, the XTi is a pretty good camera, as is the 40D, from what I hear.

A friend of mine has the D80, and it's a fantastic camera. It has more features than the XTi, and so the menus are huge and take time to wade through. The D80 is more expensive, though. And the D80 has a waaay cooler sounding shutter.

Hi there I love photography and I own a Canon 300D and also I recently bought a New Canon 40D, let me tell you, this is an excellent camera all around specially in low lighting situations you will have no grain what so ever, and the new live view it's a trip, It has so many things that I am still learning all the new features that my 300D doesn’t have. I have used Nikon (D70) before and they are excellent cameras also, my recommendation is go and test all there is out there and based on that make your decision.

Most reactions

Back