HELP C&C Needed!

melrose09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I finally got up the nerve to post some pics. I've had my Pentax K-X for 11 days now, so still don't know too much...or anything really. Here are 3 shots that I THINK might have some potential. Please C&C as much as possible. That is why I joined this place. And I'm pretty tough skinned, so don't be scared!

1) The Beach
IMGP0723.jpg

2) My dog, Trixie
IMGP0558.jpg

3) A candle (I was actually doing the 3 interesting things withing 10 feet challenge for this one!)
IMGP0518.jpg

I dont get #1. Why do you think it makes a nice photograph?

You seem to have missed the focus on the dog, it should be more on the eyes. Although I'm viewing this on a netbook, so might be my screen. I also find the image is under exposed and frankly, not too interesting.

I'm not liking the rim of the candle in the image. Looks like the candle light is reflection on the rim making a white spot, which is distracting. Not liking the angle of the shot either.

All three of your images seems to be from you standing straight up and just shooting without moving your body. Shoot at the dog's level, shoot things from down below, up above...get moving to find interesting shots. We live in a 3D world, use that to your advantage.

And no need to put HELP in your thread title if you just want CC on your images :)

I dont get #1. Why do you think it makes a nice photograph?

You seem to have missed the focus on the dog, it should be more on the eyes. Although I'm viewing this on a netbook, so might be my screen. I also find the image is under exposed and frankly, not too interesting.

I'm not liking the rim of the candle in the image. Looks like the candle light is reflection on the rim making a white spot, which is distracting. Not liking the angle of the shot either.

All three of your images seems to be from you standing straight up and just shooting without moving your body. Shoot at the dog's level, shoot things from down below, up above...get moving to find interesting shots. We live in a 3D world, use that to your advantage.

And no need to put HELP in your thread title if you just want CC on your images :)

IDK...I like how you can see the line of driftwood curving around the bay. Maybe it's not necessarily the photograph itself, but the subject that I like. I find that I do that a lot, so I'm working on it. Nice subject doesn't equal nice photograph. Same goes for the dog. And I do think you are right. I focused more on her nose. Thanks for pointing that out!

And the candle...I think it's actually the flash making that blob. But I could be wrong. I took some with and some without flash, and I am not sure where this falls.

Definitely going to take the 3-D world advice, too. I need to MOVE!

Oh and I'm totally new to the whole forum thing. No more 'help wanted' posts, I promise;)

Its all good, keep up the practice.

When you find an interesting scene like that one with the wood, force yourself to take 10 images of the scene. Some wide, find some detail that you can zoom in on, different angles, looking for something intersting in the foreground...get that mind and creativity working.

And look into the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, a must read for anyone new.

I've started a photography wish list, and that book is on the top! I have LOTS to learn, but I'm being as patient with myself as I can. I want to be awesome like NOW, but I've only been doing this for 11 days. Patience, Melanie, patience! Thanks again for the input!

With number one the line draws me away from the subject and kinda makes me follow the line trying to find the subject.

I think with the first one you can get closer and lower to the wood and actually do a nice shallow DOF focused on one of the medium size logs and use half of moutain line and half sky as a background.

There was this one...
IMGP0689.jpg

I'm still working on exposure, and i just couldn't get it. It was super dreary and couldn't get it right. I was being a little sissy, too. It was colder than I anticipated and bailed for the warmth of the car

I actually like that more then the number 1, with better exposure and maybe no tilt it would be a awesome photo imo.

Thanks K.Li! I'm still trying to get this whole exposure thing down. I try not to use any of the auto settings, but sometimes I cheat just to see what it would set at in auto. I'm heading back east to PA for about 2 weeks and there is a lot of snow there, so that will be an interesting challenge for me. I think I'll learn a lot!

I agree that the first shot seems empty and without purpose. Focusing on one log and making that your subject made it much more interesting picture. I'd be curious to see what else you can do with that setting. I love driftwood for some reason.

I would have shot that first shot lower and make the drift wood more of a feature. That stuff would make so much interesting shapes and compositions!

The dog photo I agree looks under exposed and the focus is on the wrong part. You might be able to punch the highlights a bit in PP though.

I like the last shot the best.

look into the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, a must read for anyone new.
I bought that book and it left me with more questions than answers
Mainly why expose for the sky? it turned all my images into sillhouette
there was a few good tips though like mr. green jeans (when exposing for green set your EV to -2/3)
I do agree, a good read for new people but it doesnt explain much tbh, I think a better series of books would be the Scott kelbys The digital photography book
It isnt really a book to teach you it is more of a manual you take with you.

Most reactions

Back